Zedlar Serves Career Best Four Aces In The Win
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. — The visiting Washington College volleyball team hit a season best .274 en route to a 3-0 (25-20, 25-13, 25-13) win over host Ursinus in a Centennial Conference volleyball match played tonight at Helfferich Hall in Collegeville, Pennsylvania. The win was the seventh consecutive win for the Shorewomen over the Bears.
Washington College 3, Ursinus 0 (25-20, 25-13, 25-13)
How It Happened
- The first set was tied at 9-9 before the Shorewomen went on an 8-0 run, capped off by a service ace from Lauren Zedlar, to put Washington ahead 17-9. The last three points of the run were all aces by Zedlar.
- Ursinus cut the lead to 22-20, but Washington would win the last three points of the set to win by five, with Zedlar serving up an ace to end the set.
- The second set was tied 12-12 before Washington went on a set ending 13-1 run to win by 12 points. A combined block from Cassie Kowalski and Isabella Sansanelli gave the Shorewomen the lead in the set for good, and a Kowalski kill ended the second set.
- The Bears held an early 5-3 lead in the third set, but Washington went on a 12-1 run to grab a 15-6 lead on an Ursinus attack error. Lizzie Baden gave the Shorewomen the lead for good in the set with a kill to make it 6-5.
- Washington would win the final set by 12 as a kill from Jenna Daunoras ended the match.
For the Shorewomen (10-15 Overall, 3-6 Centennial Conference)
- Zedlar (match and career high four aces, team highs of 11 assists and eight digs), Kowalski (six kills to tie for match best), Daunoras (five kills, match high tying three blocks), Sansanelli (four kills, match high tying three blocks), Baden, Abby Smith, and Maggie Pietrucha (four kills each).
- The Shorewomen hit a season best .274 in the win and served up 10 aces, their fourth match this year with 10 or more service aces.
For Ursinus (9-17 Overall, 1-8 Centennial Conference)
- Kelly Piotrowicz (six kills to tie for match best, 11 assists, match high 13 digs), Paige DeAlba (11 assists), Miranda Foster (five kills, two blocks).
- The Bears hit -.022 in the loss and had just three service aces against seven service errors.
- Ursinus hit .188 in the opening set, but then hit -.133 in the second set and -.148 in the third.
- The Shorewomen have won their last seven matches in a row against the Bears, winning 21 of 22 sets during that span.
- Washington has now won 10 or more matches overall in 12 consecutive seasons.
- Zedlar has served up nine aces over her last three matches, all of which have been straight sets wins for the Shorewomen.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/27 v. Muhlenberg - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match).
- The match against the Mules will be the season finale and will also serve as Senior Day for Baden and Kaitlyn Marino.