Kowalski Garners Spot on All-Tournament Team
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington College volleyball team went 0-2 in the second day and final day of the Marymount Tournament on Saturday at Converse Fieldhouse. In the first match of the day, Washington was downed by Eastern, 3-0 (25-15, 25-22, 25-17), before succumbing to Randolph-Macon, 3-0 (25-18, 25-22, 25-18) in the second contest. Junior right-side hitter/defensive specialist Cassie Kowalski (Wilmington, Del./Delaware Military Academy) was named to the all-tournament team.
Eastern 3 Washington College 0 (25-15, 25-22, 25-17)
How It Happened
- Eastern hit .370 with 13 kills in the opening set for the set win. The Shorewomen had eight kills in the opening set to account for 53% of their points.
- WC had nine kills in the second set, the most kills they had in any set versus the Eagles, while the Eagles tallied 11 kills.
- In the third set, the Shorewomen had five kills, while Eastern had 16 kills in the third.
For The Shorewomen (4-4)
- Cassie Kowalski (team-bests of eight kills and 10 digs), Lauren Zedlar (team-best 13 assists), Isabella Sansanelli (match-tie topping four blocks)
- Team hit .051 in the contest, notched seven rejections and served two aces.
For Eastern (6-1)
- Caroline Shelby (16 kills and hit .464 for the Eagles), Morgan Kline (match-highs of 37 assists and 16 digs), Michelle Paulsen (nine kills and four blocks to tie for match-best), Cecilia Bauer (three aces to lead all players)
- The squad hit .221 with nine aces and six blocks in the match.
Randolph-Macon 3 Washington College 0 (25-18, 25-22, 25-18)
How It Happened
- Despite hitting .393 in the first set and notching 13 kills, the Shorewomen came up seven points short against the Yellow Jackets.
- Washington had 10 kills in the second set in the three-point loss to Randolph-Macon.
- The Shorewomen hit .107 in the third set versus the Yellow Jackets.
For The Shorewomen (4-5)
- Kowalski (squad-best nine kills and 10 digs), Zedlar (nine assists), Portera (team-high 11 digs), Jensyn Hartzell (10 digs and eight assists), Sansanelli and Jenna Daunoras (three blocks)
- Washington had two aces and seven blocks as the team hit .188.
For Randolph-Macon (4-5)
- Miranda Hall (nine kills), Angela Tender (27 assists and 12 digs to lead all participants), Madison Warlick (10 digs and match-high three aces)
- The Yellow Jackets hit .196 with nine assists and five rejections in the contest.
- This is the second time Kowalski has been named to an all-tournament team this season as last weekend she was named the MVP of the DeSales Invitational.
9/12 @ Catholic – 7:00 p.m. (Non-Conference match)
- The Shorewomen swept the Cardinals last September in Chestertown.