WC Downs Baruch In Three Sets and Colby-Sawyer in Four Sets
CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – The Washington College volleyball team started its 2018 campaign with two victories on Friday in the first day of the DeSales Invitational at Billera Gym in a pair of non-conference volleyball matches. The Shorewomen topped Baruch in three sets (25-14, 25-15, 25-17) and downed Colby-Sawyer in four sets (25-15, 20-25, 25-17, 25-20).
Washington College 3 Baruch 0 (25-14, 25-15, 25-17)
How It Happened
- Leading 8-5, the Shorewomen went on a 15-5 run to take a 23-10 lead in the first set on a service ace by Jensyn Hartzell. Cassie Kowalski clinched the set with an ace.
- In the second set, Washington closed out the set with the last five points to win by 10 points. Kaitlyn Marino closed out the Bearcats in the middle set set with an ace.
- Baruch cut Washington's lead in the third set to 16-13 on a Danielle Naggar service ace before the Shorewomen won nine of the last 13 points to win by eight. An attack error by the Bearcats ended the match.
For The Shorewomen (1-0)
- Abby Smith (match-best 11 kills and nine digs), Kowalski (team-best 10 digs and four blocks), Kylie Peets (match-high five blocks and hit .500), Lauren Zedlar (match-high 18 assists), Hartzell (12 assists).
- The Shorewomen hit .212 in the match while serving up five aces and totaling nine blocks.
For Baruch (0-1)
- Anita Sengara (match-high 16 digs), Naggar (11 digs), Catherine Chen (13 assists).
- The Bearcats hit -.074 in the contest, while tallying six aces.
Washington College 3 Colby-Sawyer 1 (25-15, 20-25, 25-17, 25-20)
How It Happened
- In the opening set, the Shorewomen led 20-14 before taking care of the Chargers with a 5-1 run to win by 10. A Kylie Peets finisher clinched the first set for WC.
- Colby-Sawyer leveled the match with a five-point win the second set as they took five of the last six points of the second set. Sam Mohammed made it 21-19 on a kill and a setting error by the Shorewomen ended the second.
- In third set, WC took nine of the final 12 points to win by eight after leading just 16-14. A service error by the Chargers ignited the run and a Peets kill sealed the third.
- Trailing 10-9 in the fourth set, the Shorewomen went on a 6-0 run to take the lead for good at 15-10 on an attack miscue by Colby-Sawyer. A service error by the Chargers ended the set and match.
For The Shorewomen (2-0)
- Kowalski (16 kills to lead all players and 10 digs), Smith (10 kills and team-high 12 digs), Zedlar (team-best 23 assists and 10 digs for first career double-double), Marino (11 digs), Hartzell (15 assists).
- Kowalski, Smith and Zedlar all had double-doubles in the victory.
- Washington hit .260 in the win and totaled eight aces in the victory.
For Colby-Sawyer (0-2)
- Olivia Goodrich (match-high 25 assists), Morgan Flynn (contest-best 14 digs and four aces).
- The Chargers were held to a .077 hitting percentage by the WC defense, while notching nine aces.
- This was the fifth all-time meeting for WC against Baruch. The Shorewomen won in four sets in 2008 in New York City and in three sets at DeSales in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- Washington last played Colby-Sawyer in 2008 ironically enough at Baruch in Lower Manhattan. Prior to tonight, it was the only time the Shorewomen and Chargers have played on the volleyball court.
- In 14 matches at the DeSales Invitatational, Washington is 13-1 all-time.
9/1 vs. Rutgers-Camden – 10:00 a.m. (DeSales Invitational)
9/1 @ DeSales – 2:00 p.m. (DeSales Invitational)
- Washington captured the invitational last year as on the second day they downed DeSales in five sets and took all three sets from Rutgers-Camden.
- Second and final day of the DeSales Invitational.