Marino Pounds Down Career-High 20 Kills Against Alvernia
READING, Pa. — The Washington College volleyball team won both of its matches at a non-conference tri-match hosted by Alvernia University this afternoon. The Shorewomen opened the day by winning the final three sets of the match in a 20-25, 25-19, 25-23, 25-18, win over the host Crusaders. They followed that up with a dominant 25-11, 25-11, 25-16 sweep of Immaculata.
Washington College 3, Alvernia 1 (20-25, 25-19, 25-23, 25-18)
How It Happened
- In the first set, Alvernia held a 21-19 lead before winning four of the final five points to post a 25-20 set win.
- Four straight points midway through the second set turned a slim 12-9 Washington advantage into a seven-point cushion for the Shorewomen, who led by at least four points the rest of the way. Alaina Geissberger capped off the 25-19 set win with a kill.
- The Shorewomen jumped out to a 6-1 lead in the third set and maintained an advantage until the Crusaders ran off four straight points to even the score at 21-21. Kaitlyn Marino picked up a kill to put the Shorewomen up, 22-21, but McKenna Achenbach answered with a kill of her own for Alvernia. The Shorewomen scored the next two points before Alvernia stayed alive thanks to a Washington service error. Marino polished off the 25-23 set win for the Shorewomen with her 16th kill of the match.
- In the fourth set, the Shorewomen never trailed and opened up an 21-13 lead on a block by Lizzie Baden and Geissberger. Washington went on to take a 25-18 set win and close out the match.
For the Shorewomen (4-1)
- Marino (career-high 20 kills, 12 digs), Geissberger (career-high 8 blocks), Cassie Kowalski (career-high 10 kills), Taylor Horan (37 assists, 11 digs), Audrey Utchen (20 digs, 4 aces)
For Alvernia (1-5)
- Emily Smith (16 kills, 17 digs), Aubrey Gruwell-Keating (25 digs), Kristen Sipling (11 kills), Abby O'Donnell (30 assists, 4 aces, 10 digs)
Washington College 3, Immaculata 0 (25-11, 25-11, 25-16)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen hit .273 en route to a 25-11 win in the first set.
- Washington finished the second set on an 11-1 run to take the second set, 25-11.
- The Shorewomen controlled the third set as well in a 25-16 win to complete the sweep. A Geissberger kill finished off the match.
For the Shorewomen (5-1)
- Marino (12 kills, 12 digs), Kowalski (10 kills, .529 attack percentage), Utchen (14 digs), Horan (29 assists)
- The Shorewomen hit .293 for the match.
For Immaculata (1-4)
- Arden Vizzard (18 digs), Shelby Belk (5 kills), Olivia Zdradzinski (5 kills)
- Immaculata had just 16 kills against 18 errors in 88 attempts in the loss.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/14 @ Marymount - 7:00 p.m.