Draves Joins WC Top 10 in 200 IM; Gallagher and Homer Enter WC Top 10
RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington College women's swim team placed fourth out of 12 teams at Yellow Jacket Invitational, hosted by Randolph-Macon Saturday and Sunday at the Collegiate School Aquatic Center. Sophomore Teresa Draves (Gilbertsville, Pa./Boyertown) moved up to fifth in the Shorewomen Top 10 in the 400 individual medley and joined three other top 10 categories and two different swimmers joined the top 10 list as six events had a change in the all-time top 10.
Yellow Jacket Invitational
Shorewomen Individual Highlights
- Draves finished second in the 400 individual medley with a time of 4:45.08 and that time was good enough to make her the fifth fastest swimmer in program history in the event. She was third in the 200 IM at 2:14.40, which makes her the eighth fastest swimmer for a Shorewoman all-time. The sophomore was seventh in the 200 breaststroke at 2:32.19.
- Anna Hall was third in the 100 and 200 butterfly events as she finished with a time of 59.87 and 2:15.48 respectively. She was also sixth in the 200 IM (2:15.67).
- Alexa Luecke was sixth in the 200 freestyle (1:58.61), 10th in the 100 freestyle (55.23) and was tied for 11th in the 50 free (25.73).
- Kristina Curley was sixth in the 1650 freestyle in 19:05.43, placed 11th in the 500 freestyle in 5:27.30 and 16th in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:04.59.
- Allison Gallagher was eighth in the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:13.99 and was 10th in the 200 IM (2:18.31) and 100 backstroke (1:03.03).
- Emily Homer was ninth in the 100 breaststroke at 1:10.92 and that time was good enough to get her 10th all-time at Washington in the event. She was 15th in the 200 breaststroke with a mark of 2:35.86.
- Lindsay Wiecki was ninth in the 200 butterfly (2:22.79), 12th in the 500 freestyle (5:28.17) and 16th in the 100 butterfly (1:03.35).
- Finishing 10th was Alex May in the 400 IM (4:57.84). Lindsay Strauss landed 15th in 50 freestyle (25.91) and 100 freestyle (56.73) as well as Alex Searles in the 100 breaststroke (1:12.58). May was 16th in the 200 IM with a time of 2:20.59.
Shorewomen Relay Highlights
- In the 800-yard freestyle relay, the team of Curley, Draves, Luecke and Strauss finished fourth in 8:15.48 and the quartet of May, Gallagher, Hall and Wiecki placed fifth just seven-hundredths of a second behind at 8:15.55.
- In the 400 freestyle relay, the squad of Luecke, Draves, Strauss and Gallagher placed fourth in 3:43.71.
- The foursome of Draves, Homer, Hall and Luecke were eighth in both the 200 medley relay (1:54.35) and 400 medley relay (4:09.22). Draves became the program's ninth fastest swimmer in the 100 backstroke at 1:01.99 as she led off in the 400 medley.
- Gallagher became WC's 10th fastest swimmer in program history in the 100 backstroke as she led off the 400 medley relay with a time of 1:02.14 as Washington had two relay teams in the event.
- Also eighth was the 200 freestyle relay squad of Shannon Salandy, Strauss, Gallagher and Savannah Quade with a mark of 1:44.23.
- Catholic won the event with 1,621 points followed by host Randolph-Macon who notched 1,506.5 points. Third place was Barton who had 1,310.5 points and Washington placed fourth with 909.5 points. Five through 12 respectively were Lynchburg (723.5 points), St. Mary's (Md.) (620.5), Marymount (367), Emory & Henry (365), Bridgewater (284), Frostburg St. (230), Virginia Wesleyan (161.5) and Hollins (129).
- Barton and Frostburg St. are Division II schools, the rest are Division III institutions.
1/9/20 – @ Orange Bowl Swim Classic (Key Largo, Fla.) – 10:00 a.m.