Smith Makes Career High Seven Saves
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Swarthmore scored the only goal of the game in the 81st minute to pick up a 1-0 win over host Washington College in a Centennial Conference women's soccer game played tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Swarthmore 1, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- Eleonore Moser took the first shot on goal of the game during a corner kick in the 9th minute, but it was saved by Shorewomen goalkeeper Noah Smith.
- Katie King put the Shorewomen's first shot on goal of the night less than a minute later, but it was saved by Garnet goalkeeper Chantal Reyes.
- Seneca Kinn-Gurzo saw a header shot off of a corner kick saved by Smith in the 40th minute.
- Rachel Chatfield and Cayla Marcinko had shots on goal in the 47th and 55th minutes, respectively, saved by Reyes.
- Swarthmore took the lead with 9:33 to go when Nikki Gibbons sent a shot from 30 yards out along the right sideline just under the crossbar.
- Washington would not get another shot off after the goal.
For the Shorewomen (4-4-2 Overall, 1-2-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Smith (seven saves, one goal allowed, 90:00).
For Swarthmore (7-3 Overall, 2-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Gibbons (one goal).
- Goalkeeper: Reyes (four saves, zero goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Garnet held a 21-6 advantage in shots and took all five corner kicks in the game.
- Smith was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the first time in her career. Her saves saves tonight set a new career high
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/5 @ McDaniel - 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game.)