Game-Winner Comes on Free Kick with Seven Seconds Left in OT
BRYN MAWR, Pa. — Sophomore Bess Mascone (Middletown, N.J./Middletown North) scored the only goal of the game on a free kick with seven seconds left in overtime to give visiting Washington College a 1-0 win over host Bryn Mawr in a Centennial Conference women's soccer game this afternoon.
Washington College 1, Bryn Mawr 0 (OT)
How It Happened
- Kass Wojcik put a shot on goal for the Owls in the eighth minute that was saved by Noah Smith.
- The Shorewomen's two shots on goal of the first half came in a span of 94 seconds. Erin O'Reilly had a shot saved by Grecia Prieto midway through the 20th minute and Katie King had one of her own late in the 21st.
- Neither team would put another shot on goal until the 61st minute when Wojcik had another shot stopped by Smith.
- Paige Mastripolito had a shot saved by Smith in the 77th.
- Brianna Parise fired a shot on goal for the Shorewomen in the 89th that was saved by Prieto as the game remained scoreless and headed to overtime.
- Paige O'Connell's shot on goal in the 95th minute for the Shorewomen was the first shot by either team in the extra session.
- Elizabeth Hummel followed with a shot on goal for the Owls in the 97th.
- Mascone sent her free kick from the top of the penalty area into the top right corner of the game at the 99:53 mark.
For the Shorewomen (4-3-1, 1-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Mascone (goal)
- Goalkeeper: Smith (4 saves, 0 goals allowed, 99:53)
- The Shorewomen held a 12-10 advantage in total shots in the game.
For Bryn Mawr (4-3, 0-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Prieto (4 saves, 1 goal allowed, 99:53)
9/28 v. #5 Johns Hopkins - 7 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)