CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Gettysburg College defeated host Washington College, 1-0, in the Centennial Conference women's soccer opener for both schools this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Gettysburg 1, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- Erin O'Reilly had a penalty kick stopped by Gettysburg goalkeeper Maddie Cunningham in the fifth minute following a Gettysburg hand ball in the box.
- That penalty kick wound up as the only shot on goal of the first half. The Shorewomen held a 4-3 advantage in total shots in the period.
- Erika Muskus recorded the Bullets' first shot on goal just 20 seconds into the second half, but it went straight to Washington goalkeeper Annalie Buscarino for the save. Cayla Marcinko had one for the Shorewomen saved by Cunningham a minute later.
- Muskus had another shot saved by Buscarino in the 51st minute. Julia Myers put a long shot on goal in the 58th for the Bullets.
- Charlotte Cenatiempo broke the scoreless tie for the Bullets at the 62:14 mark, beating multiple defenders and sending a shot between Buscarino and the near post that bounced off the far post and in.
- Myers headed a shot on goal for the Bullets in the 68th.
For the Shorewomen (3-3-1, 0-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Buscarino (4 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
For Gettysburg (6-0, 1-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Cenatiempo (goal)
- Goalkeeper: Cunningham (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Bullets held a 13-6 advantage in shots and a 4-3 edge in corner kicks in the game.
- Rachel Chatfield was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game.
9/25 @ Bryn Mawr - 4 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)