Washington Outshoots Ursinus 15-6 in Loss
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Host Ursinus was outshot by visiting Washington College, 15-6, but got the match's lone goal in the 77th minute by Kelly Gardus from Mackenzie Groff in a 1-0 win for the home side at Patterson Field in Centennial Conference women's soccer action on Wednesday night. The Bears improve to 7-7-2 overall and 3-6-0 in the conference, while the Shorewomen fall to 7-6-1 and 3-6-0 respectively.
Ursinus 1 Washington College 0
How It Happened
- Kasey Sheahan for Ursinus had its lone shot of the first half, but her shot went high.
- Washington had its first shot on goal in the 21st minute by Olivia Sabatino, but her shot was saved by Sabrina Doherty.
- Arianna Sabatino had the last shot of the first half for WC, but went wide left as Washington held a 7-1 edge in shots.
- Ursinus got onto the board at the 76:34 mark when Gardus got a cross from Groff and her shot hit the crossbar and dropped into the goal to put the Bears ahead.
- Washington had three shots on target in the final 7:54, but could not get the equalizer. The last chance came from Olivia Sabatino with 2:43 remaining, but Doherty saved the shot and the Bears were able to prevent another shot the rest of the way.
For The Shorewomen (7-6-1, 3-6-0 CC)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeepers: Annalie Buscarino (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Totaled 15 shots and three corner kicks for the match.
For Ursinus (7-7-2, 3-6-0 CC)
- Scorers: Gardus (goal), Groff (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Sabrina Doherty (5 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Took six shots and registered two corner kicks in the contest.
10/27 v. Muhlenberg – 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Match)
- Home and season finale and senior day. The team will honor seniors Arianna Sabatino, Olivia Sabatino, Courtney Colbert, Picabo French, Lauren Neary and Lindsay Russell prior to the contest.
- A win or tie will clinch the team's first-ever winning season.