A. Sabatino Scores For WC While Douglas and Marcinko Chalk Up Assists
ALLENTOWN, Pa. – Host Muhlenberg got a pair of goals from Makenzie O'Brien to take a 2-0 lead on its way to a 2-1 win over visiting Washington College at Varsity Field in Centennial Conference women's soccer action on Saturday evening. Despite the loss, the Shorewomen finish with their best winning percentage ever as they had a .441 winning percentage this year going 7-9-1.
Muhlenberg 2 Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Muhlenberg struck 12:16 into the match when O'Brien stole a clearing attempt by the Shorewomen and her chip shot from 15 yards out from the right side went over the head of Washington goalie Courtney Colbert to give the hosts a 1-0 lead.
- Washington had a chance to level the match 1:57 later, but Cayla Marcinko's shot was stopped by Marissa D'Alessandro.
- O'Brien struck again just 5:11 after her first goal when she received a Casarah Morales pass and her shot from the top of the 18 found its way into the lower left corner to give the Mules a two-goal lead.
- The Shorewomen got one back with 10:22 remaining in the first half when Arianna Sabatino knocked in a pass from Marcinko at the six to cut the Mules' lead to 2-1 and that would be the halftime score. Also picking an assist on the goal was Sara Douglas who passed the ball to Marcinko.
- In the second half, Muhlenberg had two chances to extend its lead in the 79th minute, but the shot by Karolyn Kawa was just high over the crossbar and a header by Danni Steigerwald was just wide to the right.
- The Shorewomen's final shot came with 9:40 left by Maia Duval, but her shot was saved by D'Alessandro.
For The Shorewomen (7-9-1, 2-8-0 CC)
- Scorers: A. Sabatino (goal), Douglas (assist), Marcinko (assist)
- Goalkeepers: Annalie Buscarino (6 saves, 0 goals allowed, 45:00), Colbert (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 45:00)
- Totaled nine shots and two corner kicks for the match.
For Muhlenberg (5-8-3, 3-4-3 CC)
- Scorers: O'Brien (2 goals), Morales (assist)
- Goalkeeper: D'Alessandro (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Took 24 shots and registered nine corners in the contest.
- Prior to this season, the Shorewomen's best winning percentage for a season came in both 2000 and 2002 when they had a .421 winning percentage as they went 8-11-0 in both years.
- A. Sabatino moved into the top ten in both goals and points with her score tonight. She is now tied for seventh all-time in goals with Niki Dennison '01 and Courtney Riso at 13 and tied for eighth in career points at WC with Jen Cox '04 and Sara Polhamus '03 at 31.
- Douglas picked up her first career assist this evening.
- The Shorewomen had five seniors who had their careers come to an end this evening. The quintet were Maribeth Harrington, Hayley Hartman, Kat Moore, Steph Scott and Lexi Young.