Olivia Breaks Career Point Record, Arianna Scores Game-Winner
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Washington College junior forward Olivia Sabatino (Dix Hills, N.Y./Half Hollows Hills West) became the team's all-time leader in career points and her twin sister Arianna Sabatino (Dix Hills, N.Y./Half Hollows Hills West) scored the game-winning goal as the host Washington College women's soccer team scored a 2-1 Centennial Conference overtime win over visiting Franklin & Marshall on Senior Day today.
Washington College 2, Franklin & Marshall 1 (OT)
How It Happened
- Arianna Sabatino sent a shot off the post for the Shorewomen in the 12th minute and F&M's Reanna Leoni had a long shot saved by Washington goalkeeper Kat Moore at the end of that minute.
- Arianna Sabatino had a shot on goal for the Shorewomen in the 36th minute.
- F&M's Lauren Kranis had a long shot saved by Courtney Colbert in the 49th minute. Meghan Byrne added one in the 74th for the Diplomats, saved by Annalie Buscarino.
- Olivia Sabatino broke the Shorewomen's career points record with a goal at the 75:02 mark, finishing a long cross through the box sent by Emily Caldarelli. The goal gave her 42 career points.
- Leoni evened the score with a goal at 78:58 for the Diplomats on a long booming kick from well outside the box after evading a defender.
- Olivia Sabatino had a shot saved by F&M goalkeeper Gabby Panayotakis in the 83rd.
- Caldarelli had a shot saved by Panayotakis in the 97th.
- Arianna Sabatino's game-winner came after receiving a pass into the middle of the box from Cayla Marcinko. Arianna turned and fired in the game-winner at 99:44.
For the Shorewomen (7-7, 2-6 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: A. Sabatino (goal), O. Sabatino (goal), Marcinko (assist), Caldarelli (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Moore (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 29:22); Courtney Colbert (1 saves, 0 goals allowed, 29:58); Annalie Buscarino (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 40:24)
- The Shorewomen held a 13-12 advantage in shots in the game.
For Franklin & Marshall (4-8-1, 1-6-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Leoni (goal)
- Goalkeeper: Panayotakis (3 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Steph Bradley '06 was the Shorewomen's previous school record holder for career points with 41. Olivia Sabatino is now one goal behind the school record for career goals of 17 held by Meghan Hartzell '04.
- The Shorewomen's seven wins this season are their third-most in 20 seasons of varsity play. The 2000 and 2002 teams both went 8-11.
- Olivia Sabatino was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game on the game's webcast.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/17 @ Cabrini - 7:00 p.m.