A. Sabatino Scores Washington's Goal From O. Sabatino
CARLISLE, Pa. – Host Dickinson overcame a 1-0 halftime deficit with three second half goals on its way to a 3-1 victory over visiting Washington College at Miller Memorial Field in Centennial Conference women's soccer action on Saturday afternoon. In the loss, junior forward Olivia Sabatino (Dix Hills, N.Y./Half Hollows Hills West) becomes the second Washington women's soccer player to reach the 40-point career mark.
Dickinson 3 Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Dickinson had the first shot of the match in the sixth minute by Elle Harris, but her shot was blocked by a Washington defender.
- Harris had contest's first shot on target at the 14:02 mark with Washington goalie Annalie Buscarino making the save.
- The Shorewomen took their first shot of the afternoon in the 33rd minute off the foot of Emily Caldarelli and her shot was saved by Red Devils' keeper Mary Katherine Brosnan.
- Washington got onto the scoreboard at the 33:39 mark of the first half when Olivia Sabatino found her twin sister Arianna Sabatino off of a corner kick and Arianna Sabatino finished the feed on the right side of the goal mouth to put the visitors ahead 1-0 and that would be the halftime score.
- Tara Dedrickson would tie the match at 1-1 4:58 into the second half as she scored off of a rebound of her own shot.
- Dickinson took a 2-1 lead with 31:08 remaining in the match when Briona Jones' cross found the foot of Ally Diez who scored into the upper left corner from the top of the leftside of the 18.
- Samantha Knapp gave the Red Devils an insurance goal with 9:07 left to give the hosts a 3-1 lead as she grabbed a loose ball around the six and scored off of a free kick.
For The Shorewomen (6-6-0, 1-5-0 CC)
- Scorers: A. Sabatino (1 goal), O. Sabatino (1 assist)
- Goalkeepers: Annalie Buscarino (6 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00).
- Totaled 10 shots and two corner kicks for the match.
For Dickinson (8-3-1, 2-2-1 CC)
- Scorers: Dedrickson (1 goal), Diez (1 goal), Knapp (1 goal), Jones (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Brosnan (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Took 17 shots and registered nine corners in the contest.
- Olivia Sabatino trails Stephanie Bradley '06 (41 points) by one point on the all-time points list at Washington. With her helper, she became the fifth Shorewoman to reach 10 or more career assists as she tied Sarah Yarbrough '09 for fourth place on the team's all-time list.
- Arianna Sabatino moved into a ninth place tie with Yarbrough for all-time goals at WC with 11.
- The Shorewomen have scored against the Red Devils for the second consecutive year, the first time they have scored in consecutive games versus Dickinson since scoring in three straight years from 2002-04.
- Dickinson was called for two offside in the match, while Washington was flagged for offside once.
10/11 @ Haverford – 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Match)