O. Sabatino Scores in Loss for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Muhlenberg College scored the game-winning goal in the 81st minute of a 2-1 Centennial Conference women's soccer victory over host Washington College this afternoon on a rainy Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Muhlenberg 2, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- The Mules scored on their first shot of the game when Alyssa Rose headed in free kick sent from 30 yards out by Emily Jordan at 5:48.
- The Shorewomen had a couple of quality scoring chances in a two-minute span later in the half. Maribeth Harrington sent a ball from the end line to Arianna Sabatino in front of the goal, but Sabatino's shot went wide at 18:17. At the 20:15 mark a Maia Duval header off a corner kick from Olivia Sabatino was saved by a divining Marissa D'Alessandro.
- The Shorewomen held a 9-4 advantage in shots in the first half .
- Muhlenberg nearly upped the lead to 2-0 after Washington goalkeeper Courtney Colbert had trouble handling a free kick in the 70th minute. Jordan gathered the ball for a shot that was played off the line by Washington defender Maia Duval at 69:41.
- Kylie Heath sent a shot just high of the Muhlenberg goal when a ball off a corner kick came bounding out back to her at 72:48.
- Olivia Sabatino evened the score when she sent a free kick from 25 yards out into the upper right of the goal at 78:40.
- The Mules regained the lead just over two minutes later when Jordan headed in a free kick from Carly DeNigris from 35 yards out at 80:44.
- The Shorewomen had a chance to tie in the 85th when an Olivia Sabatino shot was saved by a diving D'Alessandro at 84:32. A shot by Lis Parks during the ensuing corner kick went wide.
- The Shorewomen's final shot on goal came at 88:49 when D'Alessandro saved a shot by Olivia Sabatino.
For the Shorewomen (5-5-1, 0-4 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: O. Sabatino (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Colbert (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Shorewomen finished the game with 17 shots and six corner kicks.
For Muhlenberg (4-5-1, 1-2-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Jordan (1 goal, 1 assist), Rose (1 goal), DeNigris (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: D'Alessandro (9 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Mules totaled nine shots and six corners in the game.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/15 @ Dickinson - 2:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)