CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting sixteenth ranked Swarthmore College got a goal early in the second half and survived a valiant effort and hard fought contest with host Washington College to post a 1-0 victory in Centennial Conference women's soccer action tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The Garnet improved to 10-1 overall and 3-1 in the CC with the win, while the Shorewomen slipped to 5-4-1 overall and 0-3 in the CC with the loss.
#16 Swarthmore 1, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- Washington had the game's first scoring chance just 4:23 in when Arianna Sabatino sent a shot just wide of the left post.
- A misplay by the Garnet defense led to Paige Cahoon having a shot at an open goal from about 50 yards out at the 14:58 mark, but her shot went just over the crossbar.
- Swarthmore's first scoring chance of the half came with 27:23 to go when Hannah Lichtenstein headed a shot off of the top of the crossbar and out of bounds off a corner kick delivery from Sarah Hancock.
- The Garnet had their best scoring chance of the half with 11:41 to go when Marin McCoy sent a free kick just over the crossbar. The ball was sitting on the line of the 18 yard box.
- The Garnet held a 7-6 edge in shots at the halftime break in a very high paced first half of play.
- Swarthmore broke onto the scoreboard with 32:16 to play as Caroline Khanna received a pass from McCoy at the top of the 18 yard box and slotted the ball into the lower corner to give the Garnet the 1-0 lead.
- The Shorewomen kept pressing and created numerous chances to tie the game, the first coming with 28:18 to go when Sabatino had a header saved by a diving Amy Shmoys.
- Kylie Heath had a chance right in front of the goal with 23:22 to go after receiving a perfectly placed cross from Lexi Young, but her shot from the left post went just wide.
- Swarthmore almost extended the lead to 2-0 with 16:03 to play, but the shot from Brittany Weiderhold hit the crossbar and came back into play.
- Washington had one more shot on goal with 1:25 to go, but a shot from in front of goal by Maribeth Harrington was saved at full extension by a diving Shmoys.
- The Shorewomen had two more chances in the final minute on a pair of shots from Cahoon, but one missed wide to the left and the other was blocked by a Garnet defender as Swarthmore held on for the win.
For the Shorewomen (5-4-1, 0-3 CC)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Courtney Colbert (3 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00).
- The Shorewomen took 13 shots in the loss and earned 4 corner kicks.
For #16 Swarthmore (10-1, 3-1 CC)
- Scorers: Khanna (1 goal), McCoy (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Shmoys (4 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Garnet also took 13 shots in the win and earned 3 corner kicks.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/8 v. Muhlenberg - 4:00 p.m.
- Muhlenberg defeated the Shorewomen 1-0 in Allentown last season.