Tocci posts career high in assists; defense holds Goucher to just four shots
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Olivia Sabatino scored a pair of goals 6:14 apart in the first half, both assisted by Laura Tocci, as the host Washington College women's soccer team posted a 2-1 non-conference win over visiting Goucher in a game played tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. Both teams are now 3-1-1 for the season. The 3-1-1 start by Washington is the team's best five-game start since the 2000 team started the season 4-1.
Washington College 2, Goucher 1
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen got on the board with 28:20 to go in the opening half as Sabatino took a pass from Tocci, then ran 45 yards past the Gopher defense before beating Goucher keeper Lexi Rudolph for a goal and the 1-0 lead.
- Sabatino and Tocci connected again to extend the lead to 2-0 with 22:04 to go in the half, as Tocci played a pass from the center of the goal box to her left, finding Sabatino, who then juked around her defender before chipping the ball over the head of Rudolph.
- Washington held a 6-1 advantage in shots in the half and earned both of the half's corner kicks.
- Goucher cut the lead to 2-1 with 43:38 to go as Stephanie Budrock scored from the top of the 18 yard box off a double assist from Alexa Stewart and Brooke Merchant. Merchant threw the ball in bounds to Stewart, who headed it to Budrock, who scored.
-It was the one and only shot on goal of the night for the Gophers, who were held to just two more total shots after the goal.
For the Shorewomen (3-1-1)
- Scorers: Sabatino (2 goals), Tocci (career high 2 assists)
- Goalkeeper: Courtney Colbert (0 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Shorewomen took nine shots in the win and had two corner kicks.
For Goucher (3-1-1)
- Scorers: Budrock (1 goal), Stewart (1 assist), Merchant (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Rudolph (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Gophers took four shots in the loss and had just one corner kick. Goucher came in to the game averaging 21.3 shots per game.
- With the 2 goals tonight, the Shorewomen have scored 14 goals this season, surpassing their total of 13 for the entire 2015 season.
- Tonight's win snapped a four match losing streak against the Gophers.
- Washington is now 3-0 at home to start the season for the first time since 2002.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/17 v. #22 Johns Hopkins - 7:00 p.m.
- Johns Hopkins has won all 17 meetings against the Shorewomen, including a 5-1 win in Baltimore last season.