ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – Host St. Mary's (Md.) scored five times in the second half to break a scoreless tie on its way to a 5-0 win over visiting Washington College at Seahawk Stadium in non-conference women's soccer action on Wednesday afternoon. Both teams are now 2-1-0 on the season.
St. Mary's (Md.) 5 Washington College 0
How It Happened
- The Seahawks had a golden chance in the 14th minute to take the early lead, but Washington keeper Courtney Colbert dived to turn away a shot by Gillian Sawyer.
- St. Mary's had all four shots in the opening 45 minutes, the last one coming by Sawyer with 3:27 left in the first half, but it was high of the target.
- The hosts got onto the scoreboard 80 ticks into the second half when Gabby Encarancion scored on a breakaway. The goal came just 28 seconds after Arianna Sabatino had the guests' first shot, which went wide.
- The Shorewomen had a golden chance to tie the score at the 50:57 mark as Maribeth Harrington got behind the defense, but she shot from the right side was stopped by Katie Flores.
- Jenna Pastel made it 2-0 at 59:40 when she headed in an Emily Huey pass off of Huey's corner kick.
- Sawyer gave St. Mary's a 3-0 lead at the 68:51 mark when her left footed shot from the top of the 18 found the right side of the net. Less than two minutes later she made it 4-0 as she scored off of a rebound of her own shot.
- Pastel capped the scoring as she finished off a feed from Ellen Airozo.
For The Shorewomen (2-1-0)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Colbert (6 saves, 5 goals allowed, 90:00).
- Totaled three shots and five corner kicks for the match. Four of the five corners came in an 81-second stretch of the second half.
For St. Mary's (2-1-0)
- Scorers: Pastel (2 goals), Sawyer (2 goals), Encarnacion (1 goal), Airozo (1 assist), Huey (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Flores (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Took 17 shots and registered four corners in the contest.
- It was the second all-time meeting between the Shorewomen and the Seahawks. St. Mary's recorded a 2-1 last September in the inaugural meeting between the Free State schools.
- Washington was seeking its first-ever 3-0-0 start.
- The Shorewomen are 2-1-0 for the first time since starting 3-1-0 in 2009.
Up Next For The Shorewomen
9/10 @ Widener – 2:30 p.m. (Non-Conference match)
- Two teams played to a scoreless draw last season.