Twins combine for five of the team's eight goals
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College scored four goals in each half en route to scoring their most goals in a game in 12 years as the Shorewomen defeated visiting Rosemont 8-0 in a non-conference women's soccer game played tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. It was the season opener for both teams.
Washington College 8, Rosemont 0
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen got on the board at the 9:50 mark when Steph Scott scored on a rebound off of a corner kick cross from Maribeth Harrington. The cross was originally caught but then dropped by Rosemont keeper Jenna Kaiser, allowing Scott to score on the rebound.
- Washington broke the game open with three goals in a span of 2:44 late in the half. Arianna Sabatino took a pass from Hayley Hartman after Hartman slid to keep the ball in bounds on the goal line and scored to make it 2-0 at the 31:50 mark.
- Arianna Sabatino scored again just 28 seconds later off a double assist from Kylie Heath and Lis Parks to give the Shorewomen a 3-0 lead. Heath was able to cross the ball to Arianna Sabatino who had an open net to play the ball into after the through pass came from Parks.
- Olivia Sabatino gave Washington a 4-0 lead just 2:16 later after breaking away from the defenders on a pass from Erin Smedley.
- Olivia Sabatino took a long cross from Maia Duval right onto her foot and scored to make it 5-0 Washington just 4:56 into the second half.
- Arianna Sabatino completed her hat trick after depositing a through ball from her sister Olivia in the 61st minute to push the Shorewomen lead to 6-0.
- Heath then scored in the 68th minute off a cross from Laura Tocci to push the Washington lead to 7-0.
- Hartman rounded out the scoring with 28 seconds to play, scoring on an empty net off of a Duval assist to make it 8-0 and provide the final margin.
For the Shorewomen (1-0)
- Scorers: Arianna Sabatino (3 goals), Olivia Sabatino (2 goals, 1 assist), Heath (1 goal, 1 assist), Hartman (1 goal, 1 assist), Scott (1 goal), Tocci (1 assist), Harrington (1 assist), Smedley (1 assist), Parks (1 assist).
- Goalkeeper: Courtney Colbert (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Shorewomen took 20 shots in the win and earned all 3 of the games corner kicks.
For Rosemont (0-1)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Kaiser (8 saves, 8 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Ravens took 4 shots in the loss, led by 2 shots from Victoria Kasper.
- The 8 goals by the Shorewomen are the most goals ever scored in a season opener in program history, and the most goals scored in a game since a 9-0 win over Mount St. Mary (N.Y) on September 4th, 2004.
- Tonight's win marks the 5th consecutive season that the Shorewomen have opened their season with a shutout victory, and the second consecutive shutout win to start the season against Rosemont.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/3 v. Gwynedd Mercy - 1:00 p.m.
- The Shorewomen have won the last 2 meetings against the Griffins, both by shutout, including a 2-0 road win last season.