CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The visiting 19th-ranked McDaniel College women's soccer team clinched the third seed and a first-round bye in the upcoming five-team Centennial Conference Tournament with a 1-0 win over host Washington College this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
#19 McDaniel 1, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- The Green Terror's Christina Wroblewski had the first shot on goal in the 18th minute and Washington's Olivia Sabatino followed in the 19th.
- The next shot on goal came in the 36th when Washington goalkeeper Melissa Barry punched away an attempt by McDaniel's Nicole Hill. The Shorewomen's Lexi Young had a shot saved by McDaniel keeper Sarah McDonald in the 42nd.
- The best scoring chance of the first half came in the 43rd when a shot by Arianna Sabatino was tipped up in the air by McDonald and a follow-up header by Howard went off the crossbar.
- McDaniel held a slim 7-5 advantage in total shots in the first half.
- The Green Terror had the first shot on goal of the second half, but Kirsten Gibson's 58th-minute attempt was stopped by a diving Barry. A Hill shot in the 64th was also saved by Barry.
- Abby Keen had a partially-deflected shot in the 72nd saved by Barry.
- Gibson put the Green Terror on the board when she collected a loose ball in the box, spun around, and put it into the left corner of the goal at 75:24. The only shot on goal after that was one by Hill in the 80th minute.
For the Shorewomen (3-11-2, 0-9-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Barry (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Shorewomen tallied five shots and one corner kick in the game.
For McDaniel (15-1-2, 7-1-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Gibson (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: McDonald (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Green Terror finished with 23 shots and eight corner kicks.
- Today's game was the final collegiate game for the Shorewomen's lone senior, captain Bailey Howard. Howard was honored before kick-off.