Smedley Scores First Career Goal in Loss
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Bryn Mawr College scored three times in the final 6:14 of the game to rally for a 3-2 Centennial Conference women's soccer win over host Washington College tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Bryn Mawr 3, Washington College 2
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen scored 7:57 into the game when Emani Silva scored from just in front of the goal off a corner kick from Maribeth Harrington.
- Washington nearly got its second goal in the 22nd minute, but a transition shot by Olivia Sabatino was saved by a diving Aviva Kosansky.
- Erin Smedley scored her first collegiate goal at 34:25 when she scored from 10 yards beyond the box, going just over the outstretched arms of Kosansky.
- Sabatino had another transition shot saved by a diving Kosansky in the 61st minute to keep the Washington lead at 2-0
- The Owls scored on their second, third, and fourth (and final) shots on goal of the game. Haidyn Weight got the rally started when she headed in a long cross from Fiona Steele at 83:46.
- Vernonica Roux then gathered a loose ball, turned, and scored from 10 yards beyond the box at 86:19 to even the score at 2-2.
- Kosanasky came up with saves off a shot by Silva and a header by Steph Scott in the 89th minute.
- Steele then scored the game winner on a shot from outside the box off a Weight assist following a misplayed clear by the Shorewomen at 89:06.
- A final shot attempt by Sabatino went wide at 89:42.
For the Shorewomen (3-7-1, 0-6 Centennial)
- Scorers: Silva (1 goal), Smedley (1 goal), Harrington (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Melissa Barry (1 save, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Shorewomen finished the game with 20 total shots and 10 corner kicks.
- Sabatino took nine shots, five of them on goal.
For Bryn Mawr (3-10, 1-5 Centennial)
- Scorers: Steele (1 goal, 1 assist), Weight (1 goal, 1 assist), Roux (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Aviva Kosansky (10 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Bryn Mawr had four shots and no corner kicks in the game.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/17 v. Dickinson (Centennial Conference game) - 1:00 p.m.