GWYNEDD VALLEY, Pa. – Visiting Washington College got a pair of goals in the second half to tally a 2-0 victory over host Gwynedd Mercy at the Gwynedd Mercy Athletic Complex in non-conference women's soccer action on Tuesday evening. The Shorewomen improve to 2-1-1 on the year, while the Griffins fall to 2-2-1.
Washington College 2 Gwynedd Mercy 0
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen snapped the scoreless tie 7:48 into the second half when sophomore Emani Silva received a pass from the far right off the foot of sophomore Maribeth Harrington and scored from the left side to put WC ahead 1-0. For Harrington, it was her first career assist.
- Washington got the insurance goal with 16:35 left in the match when Lexi Young passed from the left side of the box and her cross found the foot of Olivia Sabatino who put it into the lower right corner to give the guests a two-goal cushion. It was Sabatino's first collegiate score and Young's first career helper.
For The Shorewomen (2-1-1)
- Scorers: Silva (1 goal), Sabatino (1 goal), Harrington (1 assist), Young (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Melissa Barry (4 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00). It was her program record 11th career shutout and first of 2015.
- Totaled 16 shots for the match while taking just one corner kick.
For Gwynedd Mercy (2-2-1)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Jess Tadley (5 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Took seven shots and registered four corners in the contest.
- It was the third all-time meeting between the Shorewomen and the Griffins. Gwynedd Mercy recorded a 2-0 win in 2004, while Washington prevailed 1-0 in 2014.
- The Shorewomen are 2-0 against Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) teams this season. WC topped Rosemont in overtime, 1-0, two weeks ago tonight.
Up Next For The Shorewomen
9/19 @ Johns Hopkins – 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference opener)
- Johns Hopkins won 3-0 a year ago in Chestertown.