CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Despite some chances late in the game, neither team could find the back of the goal this afternoon as homestanding Washington College and visiting Widener University played to a 0-0 double-overtime women's soccer draw on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The game was the Shorewomen's home opener.
Washington College 0, Widener 0 (2OT)
How It Happened
- In a defensively-dominated first half, Widener notched two shots to Washington's one. Karli Luker took a shot from the near side of the box for the Pride in the 35th minute that was saved by Washington goalkeeper Courtney Colbert for the only shot on goal of the period.
- The first shot of the second half came in the 61st minute when Shea Scannell had a shot stopped by Colbert. Brielle Errico missed wide in the 67th for Widener.
- Errico took another shot, this one straight at Colbert from outside of the box in the 70th minute. Colbert picked up another save in the 79th on a ball played off the body of Mikaela Malofiy.
- Washington's second shot of the game came in the 81st when a shot on the run by Erin Smedley went wide. Lauren Wilson took a long shot for WIdener in the 82nd saved by a diving Colbert.
- In the 85th minute, Lara Houck got a great look for the Pride, sending a ball high toward the Washington goal that was punched away and over the top by Colbert. Widener kept the pressure on as Colbert needed to make another save in the 87th, this one on a shot by Nicole Foschini. Later in the 87th, Errico received a pass in transition and had a chance to score, but sent the ball high and wide.
- Errico sent a ball high over the crossbar early in the 90th for the last shot of regulation.
- Erin Smedley found the back of the net for Washington with 29.6 seconds showing on the clock in the first overtime and the Shorewomen began to celebrate an apparent victory, but the play was waved off due to an offside call.
- Errico took the only shot of the second overtime, in the 109th minute, but it was stopped by Colbert.
For the Shorewomen (1-0-1)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Colbert (8 saves, 0 goals allowed, 110:00)
- The Shorewomen had two shots and no corner kicks in the game.
- Smedley and Picabo French each had one shot for the Shorewomen.
For Widener (0-1-1)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Olivia Pfautz (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 110:00)
- The Pride managed 12 shots and three corner kicks on the afternoon.
- Errico had a game-best five shots for Widener.
- For the second time in three years, the Shorewomen's defense has opened a season with back-to-back shutouts with a 1-0 season-opening win followed by a 0-0 double-overtime tie. Washington opened the 2013 campaign with a win over Neumann and a draw with DeSales.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/9 v. St. Mary's (Md.) - 7:00 p.m.
- The game will be first-ever meeting between the Shorewomen and Seahawks in women's soccer. The two schools have gone head-to-head in other sports 248 times and regularly cross paths at intercollegiate sailing regattas as well.