SARASOTA, Fla. — The 14th-ranked Washington College women's rowing team finished eighth overall at the NCAA Division III Championship, held yesterday and today at Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, Fla.
NCAA Division III Championship (Day One)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen's first varsity eight was fourth in its heat in 7:24.059. Top-ranked Bates won the race in 6:45.594 and third-ranked WPI was second in 6:51.639 to advance directly to the grand final. Fourth-ranked Wesleyan was third in 7:00.864.
- The Shorewomen's first varsity eight was then fourth in the repechage in 6:53.185. Wesleyan won the repechage in 6:36.661 and sixth-ranked Pacific Lutheran was second in 6:38.364 as those two crews advanced to the grand final. Sixth-ranked Williams was third in 6:40.020.
- The Shorewomen's second varsity eight was also fourth in its heat in 7:36.945 to advance to the petite final. 10th-ranked Wellesley won the heat in 6:55.012 and Bates was second in 6:55.535 to advance directly to the grand final. WPI was third in 7:22.377.
- The Shorewomen's second varsity eight was then fourth in their repechage in 7:19.107 to advance to the petite final. Pacific Lutheran won the repechage in 6:56.864 and WPI was second in 6:57.872 as those two boats advanced to the grand final. Ithaca was third in 7:02.264.
NCAA Division III Championship (Day Two)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen's first varsity eight was second in their two-boat petite final in 7:13.440. Williams won the race in 7:04.740. The Shorewomen held a slight lead of .043 seconds after 500 meters before Williams charged in front.
- The Shorewomen's second varsity eight finished second in their two-boat petite final in 7:35.158. Ithaca won the race in 7:26.678.
Shorewomen Boat Lineups
First Varsity Eight: Olivia Robb (coxswain), Jules Shipps (stroke), Erika Reynolds (seven), Gabrielle Francis (six), Kerri Walsh (five), Kelin McCloskey (four), Breanna Lanphear (three), Karis Marano (two), Leslie Collins (bow)
Second Varsity Eight: Emily Booth (coxswain), Brenna Kacar (stroke), Emma Dodsworth (seven), Emily Van Driel (six), Agnes Anderson (five), Emma Hogan (four), Kaitlyn O'Donnell (three), Lexi Hegeman (two), Annie Krysztofiak (bow)
Alternates: Olivia Oakley (coxswain), Destiny Smith, Annie Grosscup
- The overall team standings were determined by a combination of each of the eight teams' finishes in the first and second varsity eights. Bates won the 2018 NCAA Division III National Championship by winning the grand finals of both the first and second varsity eights to finish with a total of 56 points. Wellesley was second in the overall standings with 45 points, WPI was third with 42, and Ithaca fourth with 41. Wesleyan placed fifth with 38 points, Williams sixth with 34, and Pacific Lutheran seventh with 31. The Shorewomen finished with 21 points.
- This is the Shorewomen's sixth consecutive trip to the NCAA Division III Championship, making it the fourth-longest streak of full-team NCAA postseason appearances in the College's history, trailing men's lacrosse (11, 1980-1990), men's tennis (eight, 1999-2006), and men's tennis (seven, 1986-1992).
- Shipps is the second Shorewoman ever to row in the first varsity eight at four consecutive NCAA Division III Championships. She joins Maddie Morrissette '17.