Clark Leads Shorewomen With 18 Points
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College used a 14-2 run to end the third quarter to build a big lead en route to a 73-56 win over visiting Immaculata in a non-conference women's basketball game played today inside Cain Athletic Center. It was the season opener for both teams.
Washington College 73, Immaculata 56
How It Happened
- An 11-0 first quarter run, capped off by a step back three from Olivia Levin, gave the Shorewomen a 13-2 lead with 3:14 left in the opening quarter. Washington would lead 18-8 after the opening quarter.
- The Mighty Macs battled back to take a 25-24 lead with 3:07 left in the second quarter on a jump shot from Theresa Kearney. Kearney scored 15 of the team's first 25 points.
- Kearney picked up her second foul just 13 seconds later and was subbed out of the game, and Washington would take advantage with a 10-2 half closing run to take a 34-27 lead at the halftime break.
- Immaculata cut the lead to 36-32 with 8:07 left in the quarter before the Shorewomen would close the quarter on a 14-2 run to take a 50-34 lead after three quarters of play. Bridget McLaughlin started the run with a fast break layup and Emilee Cramer capped the run with a pair of free throws. Kramer and Crystal Jones each knocked down three point shots during the run.
- A layup from Kearney capped a 15-7 run and cut the lead to eight at 57-49 with 4:18 to go, but Caitlyn Clark knocked down a three pointer just 11 seconds later to push the lead back to double digits at 60-49.
- The Shorewomen led by at least 11 points the rest of the way.
For the Shorewomen (1-0)
- Clark (18 points), Taylor Samuels (13 points), McLaughlin (10 points, nine rebounds), Cramer (nine points, seven rebounds, game high four assists, game high four steals).
- The Shorewomen shot 45.8% from the floor in the win, 35.7% from three point range, and 70.6% at the free throw line.
- Washington held a 38-35 advantage in rebounding and forced 18 turnovers, while committing 13 turnovers themselves.
For Immaculata (0-1)
- Kearney (18 points), Shannon Kelly (11 points), Brielle Rigo (game best 10 rebounds).
- The Mighty Macs shot 28.1% from the floor in the loss, 41.7% from three point range, and 63.6% at the free throw line.
- Immaculata went 10-for-24 from three point range, compared to just 6-for-33 from two point range.
- Clark was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the eighth time in her career.
- The Shorewomen have now won five straight meetings against the Mighty Macs and lead the series 6-1.
- Washington wins their season opener for the third straight season.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
11/13 @ Notre Dame of Maryland - 7:00 p.m.
- The Shorewomen defeated the Gators 66-44 last year.