CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Ursinus College swept both ends of a Centennial Conference softball double-header from host Washington College this afternoon at the WC Softball Field. The Bears won the first game, 7-3, and then scored the only three runs of the game in the top of the seventh for a 3-0 win game two.
Ursinus 7, Washington College 3 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- A Kayla Quinn RBI single to right gave the Bears an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. The Shorewomen countered in the bottom of the frame as a Megan Robbins double to left center evened the score at 1-1.
- A sacrifice fly to left field by Kerrigan Buck gave the Shorewomen a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the second.
- Heather Lazer put the Bears back in front, 3-2, with a two-run double to right in the top of the third.
- Quinn scored the Bears' fourth run on an error in the top of the fifth. Lazer drove in their fifth run with a sacrifice fly on the next at bat.
- Maddie Bennett cut the deficit to 5-3 by driving in a run with a single in the bottom of the fifth for the Shorewomen.
- An RBI infield single by Lazer in the top of the seventh pushed the lead to 6-3 and another infield single by Callie Crouse made it 7-3.
For the Shorewomen (10-23-1, 3-7-1 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Grace Moery (2-for-3); Robbins (double, run, RBI, 2 walks)
- Pitching: Rachel Butler (loss, 7 innings, 9 hits, 7 runs, 3 earned, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts)
For Ursinus (16-13-1, 6-4 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Lazer (2-for-3, double, 4 RBI); Quinn (2-for-2, RBI, 2 runs); Crouse (2-for-4, RBI); Morgan Comfort (double, 2 runs); Megan Hasulak (double, run)
- Pitching: Jennifer Hammons (win, 7 innings, 5 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, 6 walks, 2 strikeouts)
- Robbins was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game.
Ursinus 3, Washington College 0 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- Washington's Maddie Bennett and Kayla McTamney engaged in a pitcher's duel through six innings.
- The only truly threatening inning by either team before the seventh was when the Shorewomen had runners on second and third in the bottom of the first with one out. McTamney then got Rachel DiMarcello to ground out to third base without the runners advancing and struck out Bennett to end the innings.
- Gabby Manto led off the top of the seventh with a first-pitch home run to center field to put the Bears up, 1-0. Later in the innings, Mackenzie Brennan hit a two-run single to left field to push the lead to 3-0.
For the Shorewomen (10-24-1, 3-8-1 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Moery (2-for-3)
- Pitching: Bennett (7 innings, 7 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts)
For Ursinus (17-13-1, 7-4 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Ally St. Jean (3-for-3, run); Manto (home run); Brennan (hit, 2 RBIs); Lazer (hit, walk, run)
- Pitching: McTamney (4-2, 4 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout)
- Moery was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game.
4/23 v. Swarthmore (2) - 3 p.m. (Centennial Conference double-header)