Bennett Tosses Complete-Game Win in Opener
WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Washington College softball team split a non-conference double-header at Catholic University this afternoon. The Shorewomen won the first game, 2-1, before the host Cardinals took the second, 8-0, in six innings.
Washington College 2, Catholic 1 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen got on the board in the top of the first inning with an RBI single by Rachel DiMarcello.
- The Cardinals tied things up in the bottom of the second with an RBI double by Juliet Lodes.
- Washington moved back in front when Brittany Walker singled to third base to drive in a run in the top of the fifth.
For the Shorewomen (6-12)
- Hitting: Leah Stokes (2-for-3, run); DiMarcello (hit, RBI); Walker (hit, RBI); Alyssa Vieira (hit, run)
- Pitching: Maddie Bennett (win, 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts)
For Catholic (7-10)
- Hitting: Lodes (2-for-3, double RBI); Sabrina Scott (hit, run)
- Pitching: Scott (1.1 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 earned, 1 walk, 1 strikeout); Allie Lajeunesse (loss, 5.2 innings, 4 hits, 1 run, 0 earned, 0 walks, 3 strikeouts)
Catholic 8, Washington College 0 (Game 2 - six innings)
How It Happened
- Scott broke a scoreless tie with a two-run single for Catholic in the bottom of the fifth.
- Kacie Badolato hit a two-run single for the Cardinals in the bottom of the sixth to extend the lead to 4-0. Shannon Harrington and Taylor Forgen each drove in a run with a single to push the lead to 6-0. A bases loaded walk drawn by Scott and an RBI fielder's choice by Lajeunesse ended the game via the eight-run rule.
For the Shorewomen (6-13)
- Hitting: Kerrigan Buck (hit)
- Pitching: Rachel Butler (loss, 5 innings, 8 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts); Cassidy Predale (0.1 innings, 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned, 2 walks, 1 strikeout)
For Catholic (7-11)
- Hitting: Bella Ronca (2-for-3, 2 runs); Forgen (hit, RBI, walk); Scott (hit, 3 RBI, walk); Lajeunesse (hit, walk), Makayla Czan (hit, run); Giselle Diaz (hit, run); Badolato (hit, 2 runs); Harrington (2-for-3, RBI, 2 runs)
- Pitching: Claire Sturek (win, 6 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 walks, 8 strikeouts)
3/28 v. Stockton (2) - 2:30 p.m.
- The double-header against Stockton will be the Shorewomen's first home games of the season.