DiPrimio Matches Career High With Three RBI's In Opener
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — The Washington College softball team kicked off their 2018 spring break trip with a pair of games at the Osceola County Softball Complex on day one of the Diamond 9 Sunkissed Games in Kissimmee, Florida. The Shorewomen fell to Rhodes in the opening game of the day in a 9-7 slugfest in nine innings before falling to Arcadia 2-0 in the afternoon.
Rhodes 9, Washington College 7 (9 innings)
How It Happened
- The Lynx loaded the bases in the top half of the first inning, but could not score.
- Rhodes took the lead in the top of the third inning on a two out single to right field by Kendall Henry, driving in Peyton Clark, who reached due to an error, to give the Lynx a 1-0 lead.
- The Shorewomen grabbed the lead with three runs in the bottom of the third. Elaina DiPrimio ripped a two run single to left field, scoring Leah Stokes and Julia Hallman to put the Shorewomen ahead 2-1. Grace Moery then hit a two out RBI bloop single that fell in behind the pitching circle, scoring Taylor Harcum, to push the lead to 3-1.
- Washington picked up a sacrifice fly from Harcum in the bottom of the fourth, scoring Brittany Walker to extend the lead to 4-1.
- Rhodes got a run back in the top of the fifth when Haley Rath hit a two out single to short, bringing home Clark to cut the lead to 4-2. The Lynx had a chance to do further damage but left two runners on base.
- Washington got the run back in the bottom of the fifth to push the lead to 5-2 when Moery came in to score from third on a two out, failed pickoff attempt from the catcher Henry.
- The Lynx would take the lead with four runs in the top of the sixth. Kayla Rose cut the lead to 5-3 with an RBI double down the left field line, scoring Allison Long. Marisa Moore followed with an RBI single to center field to score Rose and cut the lead to 5-4. Henry then tied the game at 5-5 on a groundout to first, scoring Clark. Kirsten Samuels would give Rhodes the lead with a double to right field, scoring Moore to put the Lynx ahead 6-5.
- The Shorewomen tied the game 6-6 in the bottom of the sixth when DiPrimio doubled to right field, scoring Hallman. Pinch hitter Jenna Gordon then gave the Shorewomen a 7-6 lead with a two out, full count, line drive single back to the pitcher, scoring Harcum.
- Rhodes tied the game at 7-7 in the top of the seventh when Rose scored on a two out wild pitch. The Lynx had the potential go ahead run at third, but Shorewomen reliever Rachel Butler got Clark to line out to end the threat.
- The Lynx got runners to second and third in the top of the eighth but could not score.
- Washington would also strand a pair of runners in the bottom of the eighth.
- Rhodes took the lead for good in the top of the ninth when Anna Kula scored on a fielders choice. Olivia Jackson then singled to left field, bringing home Jill Healy to push the Rhodes lead to 9-7.
- The Shorewomen had runners on first and second in the bottom of the ninth but could not score.
For the Shorewomen (4-5)
- Hitting: DiPrimio (2-for-5, double, three RBI's), Moery (3-for-5, double, RBI), Harcum (2-for-4, RBI, two runs), Hallman (two runs).
- Pitching: Harcum (5.2 innings, 10 hits, six runs, five earned, three walks, five strikeouts), Butler (loss, 3-2, 3.1 innings, three hits, three runs, two earned, two walks, two strikeouts).
- The Shorewomen picked up 12 hits in the loss and drew five walks, but left 14 runners on base.
- Washington committed three errors, leading to a pair of unearned runs for the Lynx.
For Rhodes (12-5)
- Hitting: Henry (2-for-5, two RBI's, stolen base), Clark (2-for-6, three runs, two stolen bases), Jackson (2-for-4, RBI, walk, two stolen bases), Rath (2-for-4, RBI, two stolen bases), Rose (2-for-3, RBI, two runs, double, stolen base).
- Pitching: Bri Maniscalco (win, 8-2, 9 innings, 12 hits, seven runs, five earned, five walks, seven strikeouts).
- The Lynx picked up 13 hits in the win, drew five walks, and also left 14 runners on base.
- Rhodes committed three errors, leading to a pair of unearned runs for the Shorewomen.
- The Lynx stole 12 bases in the win.
- DiPrimio was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the fourth time in her career. This is also the fourth time in her career with three RBI's in a game and the first since an 8-0 win over Skidmore on March 12th, 2017, also in Kissimmee.
- The game lasted for three hours and thirteen minutes.
Arcadia 2, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- The Knights picked up the only runs of the game in the bottom of the first, a pair of runs on a two out fielding error to make the score 2-0.
- Hallman got into scoring position in the top of the fourth, but would not score.
- Jackie Bilotti got into scoring position for the Knights in the bottom of the fifth, but was stranded there.
- The Shorewomen got a base runner in the seventh courtesy of a Chrissy Segrest pinch hit single, but could not score.
For the Shorewomen (4-6)
- Hitting: Segrest, Gordon, and Horan (one hit each), DiPrimio (walk).
- Pitching: Butler (loss, 3-3, 4.2 innings, five hits, two runs, zero earned, zero walks, three strikeouts), Harcum (1.1 innings, one hit, zero runs, zero walks, three strikeouts).
- The Shorewomen had just three hits in the loss, drew one walk, and left four runners on base.
- Washington committed one error, and it led to both runs for the Knights.
For Arcadia (1-0)
- Hitting: Bilotti (2-for-3, run), Kaylee Zarick (run, stolen base).
- Pitching: Mary Pat Murray (win, 1-0, seven innings, three hits, zero runs, one walk, five strikeouts).
- The Knights collected six hits in the win, did not draw a walk, and left five runners on base.
- Arcadia committed zero errors in the win.
- Butler was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the third time in her career. Butler leads the Shorewomen pitching staff after 10 games with 29.2 innings pitched after throwing just 9.2 innings all of last year.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/11 v. William Patterson - 9:00 a.m. (Diamond 9 Sunkissed Games - Kissimmee, Florida)
3/11 v. Beloit - 11:15 a.m. (Diamond 9 Sunkissed Games - Kissimmee, Florida)
- Washington will be playing William Patterson for the first time. The Pioneers participated in the NCAA Division III Softball Tournament last year after posting a 28-13 record.
- The Shorewomen played against Beloit twice in Florida in 2015, posting 7-2 and 6-1 victories.