Gurnell Skippers WC to Fourth in B Division in Collegiate Debut
NORFOLK, Va. — The Washington College sailing team opened its 2019-20 regatta scheduled by finished 11th of 17 teams at the Riley Cup, hosted by Old Dominion, this weekend.
Washington College Highlights
- Skipper Stewart Gurnell, making his collegiate debut, and crew Andrew Vernon placed fourth in B Division. Gurnell skippered WC to a win in his first collegiate race as he and Vernon won race 1B. They then finished third, ninth, fourth, sixth, and eighth, respectively, in the division's final five races.
- Skipper Will Sunkler and crew Ellie Lienert were 15th in A Division. They were 18th, 16th, 16th, 13th, and eighth, respectively, in the division's six races.
- The 11th-place finish for Washington College was the team's best finish at the Riley Cup since placing second in 2012.
- George Washington, New York Maritime, and Georgetown finished in the top three spots in the team standings, respectively.
- Four A Division and three B Division races were sailed on Saturday. The first three A Division races sailed in a north-northeast breeze of four to six knots. The three B Division and fourth A Division races sailed in an east-southeast wind of seven to nine knots.
- Two A Division and three B Division races sailed on Sunday. The two A Division races sailed in a four to six knot northwesterly breeze. The wind then died until a north, progressing into a northeast, wind filled in and B Division was able to sail its final three races.
9/14&15 @ The John Quinn (hosted by Monmouth)
9/14&15 @ Kingsmill Cup (hosted by William & Mary)