KINGS POINT, N.Y. — The Washington College sailing team finished third of 16 teams at The Grant Regatta, hosted by Merchant Marine, this weekend to earn one of the final six spots at the America Trophy, the MAISA Spring Co-Ed Dinghy Championships.
Washington College Highlights
- Skipper Paul Hart and crew Ellie Lienert were ninth in A Division. They won race 2A, were second in races 4A and 12A, and third in race 9A.
- Skipper Henry Proud and crew Andrew Vernon were fifth in B Division. They won race 4B, were second in races 3B and 6B, and were third in races 5B, 7B, and 11B.
- Eight races sailed in each division on Saturday. Four more races sailed in each division on Sunday.
- Christopher Newport won The Grant, followed by Queen's in second. New York Maritime, Columbia, and Stony Brook rounded out the top six to claim the other remaining berths in the America Trophy.
- The 12 previously qualified teams for the America Trophy are: Hobart/William Smith, Georgetown, Navy, St. Mary's, Penn, Fordham, Old Dominion, George Washington, Cornell, Merchant Marine, Howard, and Webb Institute.
- The America Trophy will be hosted by Hobart/William Smith in April 27th and 28th.
4/20&21 @ George E. Morris Trophy (Boston University)