CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The Swarthmore College men's tennis team, ranked 31st in Division III and seventh in the Atlantic South region, topped host Washington College, 9-0, in a Centennial Conference match this afternoon at Schottland Tennis Center.
#31 Swarthmore 9, Washington College 0
- The Garnet picked up the first point of the match when Jiung Jung and Noah Criss finished an 8-1 win at No. 2 over Koby Bonta and Kyle Hickey.
- John Lathrop and Thibault Vernier, ranked 13th in the region in doubles, followed with an 8-5 victory over Jake Sandler and Andrew Smith at No. 2 for a 2-0 Swarthmore lead.
- Evan Han and Simon Vernier made it a clean sweep for the Garnet in doubles by pulling out an 8-7(5) win over August Meriot and Mitchell Evans at No. 3.
- Han blanked Evans, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 6 to push the advantage to 4-0.
- Thibault Vernier clinched the win for Swarthmore with a 6-1, 6-1, victory at No. 3.
- Lathrop topped Hickey, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 2.
- Jung, ranked 11th in the region in singles, defeated Sandler, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 1.
- Criss added a 6-0, 6-1, win over Smith at No. 5.
- Simon Vernier completed the 9-0 Swarthmore victory when he finished his 6-3, 6-1, win over Bonta at No. 4.
- The Garnet improved to 9-11 overall and 5-1 in conference matches with today's win. The Shoremen fell to 5-6 and 3-3.
4/20 @ Dickinson - 1 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)