Smith Clinches Win with Victory at No. 5 Singles
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College edged visiting Gettysburg, 5-4, in a Centennial Conference men's tennis match this afternoon at Schottland Tennis Center. The Shoremen won at four of the six singles spots in the victory.
Washington College 5, Gettysburg 4
- The Bullets picked up the first point of the match with an 8-2 victory by Jacob Meehan and Harrison Brown over Andrew Smith and Mitchell Evans at No. 3.
- Gettysburg went ahead, 2-0, thanks to an 8-6 win at No. 1 by Nick D'Amore and Mike Mills against Chris Salisbury and Jake Sandler.
- The Shoremen picked up their first point when Kyle Hickey and Koby Bonta rallied from a 6-3 deficit to record an 8-7(3) win over Kevin Maier and Tommy Gilio at No. 3. Hickey served an ace for the final point of the tiebreaker.
- The Shoremen tied the score at 2-2 when Bonta finished off a 6-0, 6-1, win over Gilio at No. 4.
- Salisbury gave the Shoremen a 3-2 lead with his 6-2, 6-1, victory over D'Amore at No. 1.
- Gettysburg evened the score after Hickey retired against Maier at No. 3. Hickey had won the first set, 6-3, while Maier took the second, 6-3. Hickey retired after the second set.
- Sandler notched the Shoremen's fourth point with his 6-3, 6-3, triumph over Mills at No. 2.
- Smith clinched the win for the Shoremen with a 6-1, 6-4, victory against Andrew Corwin at No. 5.
- The Shoremen improved to 4-4 overall and 2-1 in conference matches with the win, while the Bullets fell to 5-7 and 0-3 with the loss.
4/10 v. McDaniel - 4 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)