Smith Clinches Shoremen's Win With Victory at No. 6 Singles
HILTON HEAD, S.C. — Sophomore Andrew Smith (Bellmore, N.Y./John F. Kennedy) won at No. 6 singles to give the Washington College men's tennis team a 5-4 non-conference win over LeTourneau University today at Chaplin Park Tennis Center in Hilton Head, S.C.
Washington College 5, LeTourneau 4
- Bobby Clark and Nathan Schmidt put the Yellow Jackets ahead, 1-0, by completing an 8-4 win over August Meriot and Mitchell Evans at No. 3.
- LeTourneau's lead grew to 2-0 when Jimmie Henson and Christian Farris finished their 8-5 win over Chris Salisbury and Jake Sandler at No. 1.
- The Shoremen picked up their first point at No. 2 where Kyle Hockey and Koby Bonta defeated Zac Crowley-Kurth and James Estrada, 8-7(4).
- Salisbury defeated Henson, 6-7(6), 6-3, 10-8, at No. 1 to even the score at 2-2 before Farris outlasted Sandler for a 3-6, 7-6(5), 14-12, win at No. 2. The Yellow Jackets increased their lead to 4-2 with Schmidt's 6-7(2), 7-5, 10-3, win at No. 3.
- The Shoremen then won the bottom three singles spots to take the match. Meriot beat Paulo Cressio, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 4 and Bonta downed Clark, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 5. Smith then rallied for a 1-6, 7-5, 10-4, victory over Jeffrey Golladay at No. 6.
- The Shoremen improved to 2-3 with the win, while the Yellow Jackets fell to 6-5 with the loss.
3/22 v. Immaculata - 3 p.m.