CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The Washington College men's tennis team opened its dual-match schedule today with a pair of home matches inside Johnson Fitness Center. The Shoremen fell to Methodist, 7-2, in their first match of the day and then lost to Division I College of Charleston, 7-0, this evening.
Methodist 7, Washington College 2
- The Monarchs picked up the first point of the match when Wynn Johnson and Jacob Oehser finished an 8-5 win against Koby Bonta and Kyle Hckey at No. 2.
- Methodist added its second point thanks to Joshua Deutsch and Hayden Wilfong defeating August Meriot and Mitchell Evans, 8-6, at No. 3.
- Coleman Baker and Trent Harner completed the doubles sweep with an 8-7(8) win over Chris Salisbury and Jake Sandler at No.1.
- Baker defeated Hickey, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3 to push the Methodist lead to 4-0.
- Salisbury picked up the Shoremen's first point of the match with a 6-3, 6-2, win over Johnson at No. 1.
- The Monarchs clinched the match when Sandler was forced to retire against Harner, trailing, 6-4, 5-0.
- Meriot notched the Shoremen's second point with a 5-7, 7-6(4), 10-8, win against Wilfong at No. 4.
- Henry Murray topped Andrew Smith, 6-1, 7-6(1), at No. 6 to pick up Methodist's sixth point.
- Oehser rounded out the match with a 6-2, 4-6, 13-11, win against Bonta at No. 5.
- Methodist improved to 2-2 with the win.
College of Charleston 7, Washington College 0
- The match was played under Division I rules with the team winning at least two of the doubles matches earning one total team point and the doubles matches being played to a six-game pro set.
- Johnny Wang and Benedikt Henning opened doubles with a 6-0 win over Bonta and Hickey at No. 2.
- Ksawery Pociej and Easton Thomas followed with a 6-0 victory against Salisbury and Smith at No. 1 to clinch the doubles point for the Cougars.
- Robby Krick and Ben Cawston completed the doubles sweep for the Cougars with a 6-2 win against Meriot and Evans at No. 3.
- Thomas defeated Hickey, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 2 for Charleston's second point.
- Wang followed with a 6-1, 6-0, victory against Bonta at No. 4 for a 3-0 Cougar lead.
- Cawston clinched the win for Charleston with his 6-0, 6-2, triumph against Meriot at No. 3.
- Henning bested Salisbury, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 1.
- Pociej defeated Smith, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 5 and Andre Limon topped Evans, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 6 to round out the match.
- The Cougars improved to 7-1 with the win.
3/8 v. Goucher - 3 p.m.