Meriot Wins at No. 4 Singles for Shoremen
SALISBURY, Md. — The host Salisbury University men's tennis team defeated Eastern Shore rival Washington College, 8-1, in a non-conference match this afternoon. The Sea Gulls improved to 16-5 with the win, while the Shoremen dropped to 7-8 with the loss. Due to weather concerns, singles was played prior to doubles.
Salisbury 8, Washington College 1
- Ian Siew notched the Sea Gulls' first point with a 6-3, 6-0, victory over Luke Weaver at No. 2. Matthew Ryan made the score 2-0 in favor of Salisbury by completing a 6-1, 6-0, win over John Niswander at No. 6.
- August Meriot picked up a point for the Shoremen with a 6-1, 6-3, victory against Patrick MacLean at No. 4, but Kelson Weber gave Salisbury a 3-1 lead with his 6-4, 6-4, win against Justin Panepinto at No. 5.
- Colt Williamson scored a 6-2, 6-1, win over Jake Sandler at No. 1 for a 4-1 Salisbury advantage and Stefan Hein clinched the Sea Gull match victory with a 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, win against Koby Bonta at No. 3.
- Ryan and MacLean topped Weaver and Bonta, 8-0, at No. 2 for the sixth Salisbury point.
- Weber and Hein followed by completing an 8-3 win at No. 3 against Sandler and Mitchell Evans.
- Williamson and Siew completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 victory for Panepinto and Kyle Hickey at No. 1.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/28 @ Franklin & Marshall - 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- The match at F&M will be the regular-season finale for both teams. The Shoremen and Diplomats will also play in the first round match of the Centennial Conference Tournament on Tuesday, May 1st. The winner of Saturday's match will be the host team for the first-round tournament match.