Weaver Clinches Victory with Win at No. 2 Singles
ASHLAND, Va. — The Washington College men's tennis team picked up its third consecutive victory - all by the same final score - by defeating host Randolph-Macon, 7-2, in a non-conference match today.
Washington College 7, Randolph-Macon 2
- The Shoremen took the first point of the match as Chris Salisbury and Kyle Hickey completed an 8-4 win over Jacob Haines and Shane Berry at No. 2.
- The Yellow Jackets evened the score when Grant Sarver and Luke Pratson finished their 8-5 win over Koby Bonta and Andrew Smith at No. 3.
- Washington pulled back ahead thanks to a narrow 9-8 victory for Luke Weaver and Justin Panepinto at No. 1 over Baxter Carter and Alex Hein at No. 1.
- Randolph-Macon tied the score again when Berry put the finishing touches on a 6-1, 7-5, win against Hickey at No. 4.
- The Shoremen won the other five singles matches, however, to pull away. August Meriot defeated Dani Recarte, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 5, Bonta downed Carter, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 3, and then Weaver clinched the win with his 7-5, 6-3, victory against Hein at No. 2.
- Salisbury's 6-4, 6-4, win against Sarver at No. 1 and Panepinto's 6-1, 6-2, triumph over Brycen Boettcher at No. 6 rounded out the scoring.
- The Shoremen improved to 3-4 with the win, while the Yellow Jackets slipped to 5-3.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/30 @ Salisbury - 12:00 p.m.