FREDERICKSBURG, Va. — Seniors Matthew Katz (Centreville, Md./Gunston School) and Jeremy Novick (Cape May Court House, N.J./Middle Township) won the B2 Doubles Draw to lead the Washington College men's tennis team at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships, hosted by Mary Washington this weekend.
Championship Draw Singles
- Jake Sandler reached the second round with a 6-4, 6-2, win against Catholic's Jan Lasota in the first round. He then lost to Aaron Carey of Johns Hopkins, 6-1, 6-2.
- Justin Panepinto won a play-in match against Southern Virginia's TJ Snelson, 6-3, 4-6, 10-5, and then lost his first-round match to Washington and Lee's Jordan Krasner, 6-2, 6-1. In his first consolation match, he fell to Christopher Newport's Arttu Fiva, 6-4, 6-3.
Championship Draw Doubles
- Sandler and Zack Novick fell to Matthew Sklar and David Wilson of Johns Hopkins, 8-1, in the first round. In their first consolation match, they posted an 8-1 win against Moravian's Giovanni Lombardi and David Wilson. They then lost to the Wilkes tandem of Dominic and Jacob Parfianowicz, 8-2, in the consolation quarterfinals.
Elsewhere in Singles
- Jeremy Novick had a solid run in B3 Draw, blanking Ethan Garren of St. Mary's, 8-0, in the first round and getting the better of Salisbury's Garrett Malave, 8-2, in the quarterfinals. He lost to Randolph's JT von Seggern, 8-2, in the semifinals.
- In B2 Draw, Luke Weaver was a 9-8(5) winner over Salisbury's Andrew Rainger in the first round before losing to Christopher Newport's William Trang, 8-5, in the quarterfinals. Zack Novick dropped a pair of matches in B2 Draw.
- August Meriot dropped his first-round match in B4 Draw, but bounced back for an 8-5 win over Virginia Wesleyan's Andreas Combos, 8-5, in the first consolation round. The rest of the consolation bracket was canceled due to time constraints.
Elsewhere in Doubles
- Katz and Jeremy Novick opened their winning run through B2 Draw with an 8-3 victory against Alex Curnow and Stuart McCroskey of Randolph-Macon and then downed Goucher's Slade Dumas and Josh Goldberg, 8-2, in the quarterfinals. In the semifinals, they defeated Shenandoah's Brett Dubin and Matthew Hwang, 8-6. In the championship match, they edged Bridgewater's Nathaniel Horner and Freddie Roberts, 9-7.
- Panepinto and Weaver bested Randolph's Douglas Corbett and Brad Strober, 8-3, in the first round of B1 Draw and lost to Franklin & Marshall's Inigo Flores and Jack Rothman, 8-2, in the quarterfinals.
- Meriot and John Niswander also competed in B2 Draw, beating Randolph-Macon's Pablo Bordas and Jacob Haines, 8-5, in the first round before losing to Horner and Roberts, 8-5, in the quarterfinals.
Up Next for the Shoremen
2/19 v. Catholic - 11:00 a.m.