CHESTERTOWN, Md.— Visiting Swarthmore College, ranked 22nd in Division III and third in the Atlantic South region, topped host Washington College, the region's 15th-ranked team, 9-0, in a Centennial Conference match today at Schottland Tennis Center. The Garnet improved to 13-5 overall and 8-0 in conference matches with the win, while the Shoremen fell to 5-12 and 3-5 with the loss.
#22 Swarthmore 9, Washington College 0
- Mark Fallati and Josh Powell, ranked 11th in the region in doubles, picked up the Garnet's first point when they finished an 8-2 win at No. 1 against Ryland Byrd and Zack Novick.
- John Larkin and Bake Oetting followed with an 8-3 win against Justin Panepinto and Matt Katz at No. 3.
- The most competitive match was at No. 2 where Jake Sandler and Luke Weaver rallied from a 6-2 deficit to tie the score at 7-7 before Ari Cepelewicz and Simon Vernier won the final two games to score a 9-7 win for Swarthmore.
- Vernier upped the Garnet lead to 4-0 when he completed a 6-1, 6-0, win over Garrett Boleslav at No. 4.
- James Hahn finished a 6-2, 6-2, win over Novick at No. 5 at nearly the exact same time Yosuke Higashi completed his 6-0, 6-3, victory agains Weaver at No. 6 as Swarthmore clinched the match and built a 6-0 lead.
- Larkin, ranked 23rd in the region in singles, followed with a 6-3, 6-2, win against Sandler at No. 2. Cepelewicz overcame a slow start to defeat Panepinto, 7-6(2), 6-2, at No. 3.
- Fallati, ranked fifth in the region in singles, completed the shutout for the Garnet with his 6-4, 6-4, win over Byrd at No. 1.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/30 @ #28 Johns Hopkins - 11:00 a.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- The match at Hopkins will be the Shoremen's season finale.