Shoremen Sweep Doubles
ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Visiting Washington College swept doubles and won five of six singles matches en route to an 8-1 Centennial Conference men's tennis victory over host Muhlenberg College this afternoon in Allentown, Pa. The Shoremen, ranked 15th in the Atlantic South region, improved to 4-11 overall and 2-4 in conference play with the win, while the Mules fell to 3-7 and 1-5 with the loss.
Washington College 8, Muhlenberg 1
- The lone competitive doubles match came at No. 1 where Ryland Byrd and Justin Panepinto prevailed over Mickey Schindler and Derrick Eng, 8-6.
- The Shoremen won the other two doubles matches by 8-0 counts. Luke Weaver and Jeremy Novick blanked Steven Shoemaker and Jon Yandle at No. 2, while Zack Novick and Jake Sandler shut out David Woods and Jordan Greene at No. 3.
- The Shoremen's five singles wins came in straight sets. Byrd beat Woods, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 1, while Sandler downed Schindler, 6-0, 6-3, at No. 2.
- Jeremy Novick bested Adam Halpern, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 4, while Garrett Boleslav defeated Greene, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 5 and Zack Novick topped Shoemaker, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6.
- Muhlenberg won the final match to finish on the day as Eng rallied for a 1-6, 7-6(4), 10-8, victory against Panepinto at No. 3.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/23 v. Gettysburg - 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)