Sandler, Z. Novick Win in Singles & Doubles for Shoremen
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa.— Host Ursinus College topped visiting Washington College, the Atlantic South region's 15th-ranked team, by a razor-thin 5-4 margin in a Centennial Conference men's tennis match this afternoon in Collegeville, Pa. Two of the the three doubles matches went to a tie-breaker, while four of the six singles matches went three sets.
Ursinus 5, Washington College 4
- Ursinus (9-4, 1-4 Centennial) won two out of the three doubles matches. The Bears had a strong 8-2 win at No. 2 as Tyler Arsenault and Dalton Lynch beat Jeremy Novick and Garrett Boleslav.
- The two teams split a pair of 9-8 decisions at the other two spots. Max Oberholtzer and Paul Vecchio won for Ursinus at No. 1, 9-8(5) against Ryland Byrd and Justin Panepinto. Jake Sandler and Zack Novick were 9-8(2) winners for the Shoremen (3-10, 1-3) at No. 3 against Chanton Phan and Peter Shields.
- Oberholtzer beat Byrd, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 1 to up the Bears' lead to 3-1. Vecchio added a 6-1, 6-4, win against Boleslav at No. 5 to get Ursinus to within a point of clinching the match.
- The Bears wrapped up the win with Phan's 2-6, 6-0, 6-1, come-from-behind win against Jeremy Novick at No. 4.
- It turned out Ursinus needed that victory by Phan despite opening up the 5-1 lead as the Shoremen won the final three matches to finish, all in three sets. Panepinto beat Lynch, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4, at No. 3, Sandler bested Arsenault, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(2) at No. 2, and Zack Novick defeated Shields, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, at No. 6.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/16 @ Dickinson - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)