Zack Novick Clinches Win with Victory at No. 6 Singles
SALISBURY, Md.— The Washington College men's tennis team knocked off a regionally-ranked opponent for the first time this season as the Shoremen defeated host Salisbury, 5-4, in a non-conference match this afternoon. The Shoremen improved to 3-9 this season with the win, while the Sea Gulls dropped to 10-8 with the loss.
Washington College 5, Salisbury 4
- Eric Spangler and Shanon Gunther, ranked sixth in the region in doubles, got the Sea Gulls on the board first with an 8-3 victory over Ryland Byrd and Justin Panepinto at No. 1.
- The Shoremen tied the score via an 8-3 win by Zack Novick and Jake Sandler against Kelson Weber and Andrew Rainger at No. 3.
- Washington pulled ahead when Jeremy Novick and Garrett Boleslav completed an 8-4 win against Grant Hudson and Michael Popielski at No. 2.
- Boleslav's 6-1, 6-3, triumph over Popielski at No. 5 extended the Shoremen's lead to 3-1.
- Spangler, ranked 10th in the region in singles, picked up Salisbury's first singles win with a 6-3, 6-1, victory against Byrd at No. 1.
- Sandler scored a 7-5, 7-6, win over Gunther at No. 2 and Zack Novick bested Rainger, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 6 to clinch the match victory for the Shoremen.
- Hudson rallied for a 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-3, win against Panepinto at No. 3 and Weber downed Jeremy Novick, 2-6, 7-6, 10-6, at No. 4 to provide the final margin.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/12 @ Ursinus - 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)