Byrd Wins in Singles & Doubles for Shoremen in Loss
CHESTERTOWN, Md.— Visiting Franklin & Marshall, ranked 26th in Division III and eighth in the Atlantic South region, got strong performances from the lower part of its line-up en route to a 6-3 Centennial Conference men's tennis victory over host Washington College tonight inside the Johnson Fitness Center. The Diplomats improved to 9-1 overall and 2-0 in conference matches with the win, while the Shoremen dropped to 2-8 and 1-1 with the loss.
#26 Franklin & Marshall 6, Washington College 3
- F&M picked up the first point of the match at No. 3 as Zack Levin and Isaac Salas doubled up Jake Sandler and Zack Novick, 8-4.
- The Shoremen leveled the score with an impressive 8-4 win at No. 1 by Ryland Byrd and Justin Panepinto over Doug Kaplan and Jack Rothman.
- The Diplomats pulled ahead when Vasant Rajamanickam and Inigo Flores finished their 8-3 win over Jeremy Novick and Garrett Boleslav at No. 2.
- Byrd tied the score at 2-2 for the Shoremen when he rode an onslaught of aces to a dominant 6-2, 6-2, win over Kaplan, the region's 14th-ranked singles player, at No. 1.
- F&M regained the lead courtesy of a 6-3, 1-6, 10-6 win by Will Samuels against Zack Novick at No. 6, but the Shoremen quickly evened the score again at 3-3 when Sandler completed a 6-7(0), 6-1, 10-2, win against Levin at No. 2 minutes later.
- The Diplomats pulled to within a point of clinching the match when Rothman finished his 6-1, 6-4, win against Panepinto at No. 3.
- F&M clinched the match courtesy of a 6-1, 6-1, win by Salas over Jeremy Novick at No. 4. Flores accounted for the final point with his 6-0, 6-1, win over Boleslav at No. 5.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/6 v. Haverford - 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)