LA HABRA, Calif. — RPI, the 12th-ranked team in the Northeast Region, defeated Washington College, 9-0, in a non-conference men's tennis match today in La Habra, Calif. The Engineers improved to 3-6 with the win, while the loss dropped the Shoremen to 1-6.
RPI 9, Washington College 0
Doubles (in order of finish)
- The closest doubles score game at No. 1 where McKinley Grimes and Sherman Uyeno, the 12th-ranked doubles team in Division III and fourth-ranked tandem in the Northeast, pulled out an 8-6 win over Ryland Byrd and Justin Panepinto.
- Tristan Wise and Alain Grullon Gonzalez were 8-5 winners against Luke Weaver and Jeremy Novick at No. 2.
- Ahtony Kim and Graham Harris beat Jake Sandler and Zack Novick, 8-1, at No. 3.
Singles (in order of finish)
- Grimes beat Byrd, 6-2, 7-6(5), at No. 1.
- Wise bested Sandler, 6-1, 7-5, at No. 2.
- Uyeno added a 6-2, 6-3, win against Panepinto at No. 3.
- Both No. 4 and No. 5 singles went to a super-tiebreaker. Grullon Gonzalez beat Jeremy Novick, 6-3, 4-6, 11-9, at No. 4, while Stephen Baxter rallied for a 4-6, 7-5, 10-8, win against Zack Novick at No. 5.
- Kim defeated Weaver, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 6.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/26 @ McDaniel - 2:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- The match at McDaniel will be the Shoremen's Centennial Conference opener.