Byrd, Sandler, Boleslav Win in Singles Play for Shoremen
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. — Stevens Institute, ranked 25th in Division III and 10th in the Northeast region, swept doubles en route to a 6-3 men's tennis win over Washington College in a match played this morning at the University of Mary Washington. The Shoremen are now 0-3 this season, with all three losses coming against nationally-ranked teams. The Ducks improved to 2-2 this season with the victory.
#25 Stevens 6, Washington College 3
- Kyle Henry and Danny Polk rallied for a 9-7 win for Stevens at No. 1 after Washington's Ryland Byrd and Justin Panepinto served for match point leading, 7-6.
- Antonio Perich and Ben Foran downed the Shoremen's Chris Salisbury and Jeremy Novick, 8-2, at No. 2.
- Kyle Cenderelli and Charles Drake were winners for Stevens at No. 3, besting Zachary Novick and Jake Sandler, 8-4.
- Byrd picked up a strong win for the Shoremen at No. 1, downing Polk, 7-6, 7-5. Polk is ranked 25th in the Northeast region in singles.
- Drake, ranked 23rd in the Northeast, was a 6-1, 6-4, winner against Salisbury at No. 2.
- Sandler won at No. 3 singles for the second match in a row, topping Michael Feldman, 6-4, 6-4.
- At No. 4, William Persson of Stevens defeated Panepinto, 6-2, 6-3.
- Divin Sarthak added a 6-2, 6-3, win for the Ducks against Jeremy Novick at No. 5.
- Garrett Boleslav picked up the Shoremen's first point of the match when he topped Jacob Thigpen at No. 6, 6-1, 6-2.
- Stevens is the alma mater of Washington College head coach Jason Ringstad. Ringstad was an all-conference player for the Ducks and graduated from the school in 2011.
Up Next for the Shoremen
2/28 @ St. Mary's (Md.) - 1:00 p.m.