Gaeffke Scores for WC from Gifford
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Haverford's Meinhardt Rentrup scored the deciding goal from Nick Jannelli with 8:50 remaining in the second half as the guests scored twice in the final 22:33 of the contest to turn a 1-0 deficit into a 2-1 win over host Washington College in a Centennial Conference men's soccer match at Kibler Field at Roy Kirby Jr. Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The Fords are now 7-3-3 overall and 3-1-1 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen are 7-6-1 and 1-4-1 in the Centennial.
Haverford 2 Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Washington had the match's first shot on goal at 17:00 as Michael Iacono stopped Kyle Gaeffke from about 15 yards out and the rebound by Zack Urbanski sailed high to stay scoreless.
- Sean Garin had a shot on target off of a free kick with 9:14 remaining in the first half, but the shot was saved.
- The Fords best chance came with under a minute left in the first half on a chip shot by Sykes Cargile, but his shot took a unusual bounce off the turf and went just wide to the right with 27 seconds left.
- Gaeffke scored 2:53 into the second half as he received a pass from Cole Gifford and he was able to place his shot into the lower right of the goal from the middle of the box to give WC a 1-0 edge.
- Haverford's first shot of the second half came at the 60:06 mark from Jannelli, but his shot was high.
- Just over two minutes later Rentrup's header off of a free kick went just over the crossbar as WC was able to preserve its lead.
- The Fords would tie the contest with 22:33 left in the second half a Rentrup was able to win a 50-50 ball and found Paul-Andre Coulibaly and his shot from about 12 yards out went into the lower right corner.
- Haverford would take the lead with 8:50 remaining in the second half as Rentrup received a pass from Jannelli and his shot from the left side of the top of the 18 found the left side of the goal to give the visitors a 2-1 advantage.
- WC's last chance came off of a free kick with 14 seconds remaining on a header by Evan Savoth, but his shot was saved by Iacono.
For The Shoremen (7-6-1, 1-4-1 CC)
- Scoring: Gaeffke (goal), Gifford (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Gavin Campbell (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Washington had 10 shots and three corner kicks in the contest.
For Haverford (7-3-3, 3-1-1 CC)
- Scoring: Rentrup (goal and assist), Coulibaly (goal), Jannelli (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Iacono (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- Fords took 10 shots and registered three corner kicks in the match.
- Gaeffke was selected the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game during the broadcast.
10/26 v. #3 Franklin & Marshall – 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Match)
- Senior Day.