Gaeffke Scores for Washington and J. Strine Notches Assist
CARLISLE, Pa. – Host Dickinson scored the first two goals of the contest and held off a late charge from visiting Washington College to prevail 2-1 in a Centennial Conference men's soccer match at Miller Memorial Field on Saturday afternoon. The Red Devils are now 8-5-0 overall and 4-1-0 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen are 6-5-1 and 1-3-1 in the Centennial.
Dickinson 2 Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Dickinson got onto the board at the 19:10 mark when Mohammed Kane stole a clearing attempt and found Kevin Gilbert and Gilbert's shot from the top middle of the 18 found the lower left corner to put the hosts ahead 1-0.
- Washington had a good chance to tie it in the 21st minute, but Red Devils' goalie Frederick Meagher stopped the shot by the Shoremen's Greg Adams.
- Adams nearly tied the contest with 16:03 left in the first half, but his shot hit the left post and Dickinson was able to thwart any rebound attempt as the Red Devils took a one-goal lead into halftime.
- The Red Devils made it 2-0 5:53 into the second half via an own goal by the Shoremen as the cross by Dickinson was headed into net by a Washington defender.
- Less than a minute later Adams had a chance to cut the lead to 2-1, but his shot from the right side was turned away by a diving Meagher in front of the left post.
- Washington would get on the board with 9:04 remaining when Meagher couldn't handle the save of a shot by James Strine and Kyle Gaeffke pounced on the rebound and put it in to trim the lead to a goal.
- Remy Kriz had the final shot on goal for the Shoremen in the 88th minute, but his shot was saved by Meagher.
For The Shoremen (6-5-1, 1-3-1 CC)
- Scoring: Gaeffke (goal), J. Strine (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Gavin Campbell (5 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Washington had 15 shots and three corner kicks in the contest.
For Dickinson (8-5-0, 4-1-0 CC)
- Scoring: Gilbert (goal), Team (WC Own Goal), Kane (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Meagher (9 saves, 1 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Red Devils took 13 shots and registered three corner kicks in the match.
10/15 v. #19 Catholic – 7:00 p.m. (Non-Conference Match)
- Final non-conference contest of the season.