CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The seventh-ranked Johns Hopkins men's soccer team scored twice in the second half to take control of a 3-0 Centennial Conference men's soccer win over host Washington College this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
#7 Johns Hopkins 3, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- Alejandro Maclean scored on the first shot of the game for the Blue Jays at the 9:15 mark. After a failed clearance by the Shoremen, Maclean ripped a shot into the back of the net from roughly 30 yards out.
- James Strine put a shot on goal for the Shoremen in the 23rd that was saved by a diving Xander LeFevre.
- Axel Whamond pushed the lead to 2-0 by scoring on a rebound of a Pablo Martinez shot blocked by a defender at 56:11.
- Kyle Gaeffke had a chance on a breakaway in the 64th, but his shot was saved by a diving LeFevre.
- The Blue Jays' third goal came at 79:51 when Achim Younker redirected in a ball by the near post originally sent into the box by Nate Charendoff.
For the Shoremen (5-4-1, 0-2-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Gavin Campbell (0 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Shoremen finished with seven shots and six corner kicks in the game.
For Johns Hopkins (8-2, 2-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Maclean (goal); Whamond (goal); Younker (goal); Charendoff (assist); Martinez (assist)
- Goalkeeper: LeFevre (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Blue Jays had nine shots and two corner kicks on the afternoon.
- Gaeffke was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
10/5 @ McDaniel - 4 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)