Adams and Garin Score for WC
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Host Ursinus overcame a 2-0 first half deficit to earn a 2-2 tie with visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference men's soccer match at Patterson Field on Saturday afternoon in double overtime. The Shoremen are 5-3-1 overall and 0-1-1 in the Centennial, while the Bears are 4-3-1 and 0-1-1 respectively.
Washington College 2 Ursinus 2 (2OT)
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored just 7:51 into the contest to take a quick 1-0 lead as James Strine found Greg Adams and Adams tipped in a cross from the right side.
- In the 22nd minute, the Shoremen took a 2-0 advantage as Ursinus goalie Tyler Lewin tapped the ball into the air and Washington's Sean Garin got to the loose ball and headed it in.
- Ursinus got on the board with 6:11 remaining in the first half as Issi Brainsky's long pass was misplayed by the defense Braden Burns got the ball went around Washington goalie Gavin Campbell and slipped his shot past a WC defender into the lower right corner from the left side of the top of the box to trim the lead to 2-1.
- The Bears tied it 4:30 into the second half on a penalty kick by Alexis Ayala as his shot went to the right upper 90 as the hosts were awarded the penalty following a handball in a box by the Shoremen.
- Ursinus had the last chance in regulation to win it on a corner kick with less than a minute to go, but the hosts could not generate a shot and the match went into overtime.
- James Strine had the lone shot in the first overtime session, but his shot was blocked by an Ursinus defender.
- In the second overtime period, Cole Gifford had the Shoremen's lone shot, but it was blocked with 6:30 remaining, while Ayala had the only shot for the Bears and his shot went wide right with 4:40 to go as it was the last shot of the match.
For The Shoremen (5-3-1, 0-1-1 CC)
- Scoring: Adams (goal), Garin (goal), James Strine (one assist)
- Goalkeeper: Campbell (1 saves, 2 goals allowed, 110:00)
- Washington had 17 shots and six corner kicks in the contest.
For Ursinus (4-3-1, 0-1-1 CC)
- Scoring: Burns (goal), Ayala (goal), Brainsky (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Lewin (5 saves, 2 goals allowed, 110:00)
- Bears took 11 shots and registered six corner kicks in the match.
- James Strine has factored 13 of Washington's 21 goals this season on five goals and eight assists.
10/2 v. #9 Johns Hopkins – 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Match)