Gaeffke Scores Game Winner; Strine Posts Two Assists
DOVER, De. — Visiting Washington College scored both goals in the second half to post a come from behind 3-2 win over host Wesley in a non-conference men's soccer game played tonight on Drass Field in Dover, Delaware.
Washington College 3, Wesley 2
How It Happened
- The Wolverines got on the board just 4:17 into the contest when Luis Cruz scored the opening goal on an assist from Kaiden Fields.
- The Shoremen evened up the score with 30:48 to go until halftime when Liam Mansfield finished off a corner kick from James Strine.
- Wesley took a 2-1 lead just 39 seconds later when Justin John-Langba scored a penalty kick.
- Washington evened the score at 2-2 just 4:29 into the second half when Cole Gifford finished off an assist from Strine.
- The Shoremen took the lead with 27:12 to play when Kyle Gaeffke took a pass from Eric Gwadz and put Washington ahead for good.
- The Wolverines managed three corner kicks but only one shot after the goal, a shot from Andrew Schnaack with 5:51 to go that went wide.
For the Shoremen (5-2)
- Scorers: Gaeffke (one goal), Gifford (one goal), Mansfield (one goal), Strine (two assists), Gwadz (one assist).
- Goalkeeper: Gavin Campbell (zero saves, two goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Shoremen held a 9-6 advantage in shots in the win.
For Wesley (1-3-1)
- Scorers: Cruz (one goal), John-Langba (one goal), Fields (one assist).
- Goalkeeper: Jason Sommer (two saves, three goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Wolverines held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks in the loss.
- Strine has posted at least one point in all but one game this season and leads the Centennial Conference with 17 points.
- The Shoremen have now won their last four meetings against the Wolverines.
Up Next for the Shoremen
9/21 v. Gettysburg - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game).
- The game will be the Centennial Conference opener for the Shoremen.