Gaeffke, Mansfield Score in Loss for Shoremen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Randolph College rallied from a 2-0 second-half deficit to pull out a 3-2 overtime win over host Washington College in a non-conference men's soccer game this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Randolph 3, Washington College 2 (OT)
How It Happened
- The first shot on goal of the game came off the foot of the Shoremen's Liam Mansfield in the 14th minute.
- Washington goalkeeper Gavin Campbell dove to stop a shot by Evan Blow on the other end and stopped another shot by Steve Martinez in the 16th.
- The WildCats held a 9-5 advantage in total shots in the scoreless first half.
- The Shoremen broke through at the 50:05 mark when Liam Mansfield scored into the opposite corner from 15 yards out off a double assist from James Strine and Kyle Gaeffke.
- Evan Savoth put a shot on goal for the Shoremen in the 76th minute.
- Gaeffke had a penalty kick saved by Randolph goalkeeper Erick Cortez-Martinez in the 62nd minute, but knocked in the rebound to give the Shoremen a 2-0 lead at the 61:10 mark.
- Cole Gifford had a shot knocked out of bounds by Cortez-Martinez in the 69th minute.
The Wilcats' first shot on goal since the 16th minute came off the foot of Blow in the 75th. Nile Brown followed with a shot on a corner kick in the 76th.
- Gaeffke had a one-on-one shot on a breakaway stopped by Cortez-Martinez later in the 76th.
- The WildCats broke through when Daniel Over headed in a free kick from Frankie Diorio at the 76:59 mark.
- Ben Horgan had a shot on goal for the Shoremen in the 84th.
- Campbell made a diving save on a header by Gabe Krueger later in the 84th.
- The WildCats leveled the score at 2-2 at the 85:02 mark thanks to a goal by Blow at the left post off a double assist from Over and Krueger.
- Aidan Chadam sent a header wide left of the goal off a free kick by Strine with just five seconds to go in regulation as the game headed into overtime.
- Gunnar Copeland scored the game-winner for the WildCats by tapping in a low shot from the right off a cross from Anthony Fonnesu at the 97:31.
For the Shoremen (4-2)
- Scorers: Gaeffke (goal, assist), Mansfield (goal), Strine (assist),
- Goalkeeper: Campbell (5 saves, 3 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Shoremen finished with 23 shots and six corner kicks in the loss.
For Randolph (2-3-1)
- Scorers: Over (goal, assist), Blow (goal), Copeland (goal), Diorio (assist), Krueger (assist), Fonnesu (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Cortez-Martinez (7 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The WildCats tallied 17 shots and two corners in the win.
- Gaeffke was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
- Today's game marked the fifth time in six games this season that the Shoremen have scored two or more goals.
9/18 @ Wesley - 7 p.m.