CHERRY HILL, N.J. — A second-place finish in the DII/III varsity eight highlighted a successful two days of racing for the Washington College men's rowing team at the Knecht Cup on the Cooper River in Cherry Hill, N.J.
How It Happened
- The Shoremen's entry in the DII/III varsity eight placed second in its heat in 6:10.64 to advance to the final. MIT's lightweights won the heat in 6:10.64, Franklin & Marshall was third in 6:36.88, and Merchant Marine fourth in 6:58.77. The Shoremen were then second in the final in 6:43.36. MIT's lightweights won the final in 6:14.69. Carnegie Mellon was third in 6:45.23, Franklin & Marshall fourth in 6:49.16, and Trinity fifth in 7:00.63.
- Brook Yimer and Lee Potter were second in their heat of the varsity pair in 8:06.86 to advance to the final. MIT's lightweight "B" pair won the heat in 7:37.50, Gordon "A" was third in 8:11.63, and Gordon "B" was fourth in 10:04.07. Karl Melchior and Nate Bonsib were fourth in their heat of the varsity pair in 8:33.61. MIT's lightweight "A" pair won the heat in 7:25.07, Mercyhurst was second in 7:29.41, and Pittsburgh third in 8:07.38. Yimer and Potter were then fourth in the final in 8:03.06. MIT's lightweight "A" pair won the final in 7:26.80, followed by MIT's lightweight "B" pair in second in 7:30.86. Mercyhurst was third in 7:40.70, Gordon "A" fifth in 8:06.07, and Pittsburgh sixth in 8:23.43.
- The Shoremen's entry in the second varsity four was fourth of six boats in its final-only event in a time of 7:36.31. George Mason won the race in 7:09.07. Michigan was second in 7:09.70, Lafayette third in 7:17.35, Merchant Marine fifth in 7:57.43, and Penn State sixth in 7:59.63.
- The Shoremen's frosh/novice four finished second in its heat in 7:27.28 to advance to the semifinal. New Hampshire won the heat in 7:20.08, Connecticut's "A" boat was third in 7:46.99, Catholic fourth in 7:54.55, and Rhode Island fifth in 8:34.45. The novices then placed fourth in their semifinal in 7:38.77 to advance to the petite final. MIT's lightweights won the semifinal in 7:00.77, followed by Bowdoin "A" in second in 7:04.05, Connecticut "A" third in 7:38.56, Army "A" fifth in 7:42.78, and Bowdoin "B" sixth in 7:54.67. The frosh/novice four was then a scratch from the petite final.
- The Shoremen's "B" boat in the DII/III varsity four placed fourth in its heat in 8:37.79 to advance to the petite final. Bowdoin "A" was first in 7:01.86, Carnegie Mellon "B" second in 7:21.12, Franklin & Marshall "A" third in 7:35.54, and TCNJ "B" fifth in 8:56.76. The Shoremen's "A" boat was fifth in its heat in 7:57.26. Wentworth won the heat in 6:56.74, Bowdoin "B" was second in 7:05.52, Franklin & Marshall "B" third in 7:10.87, and Stockton fourth in 7:21.08. The Shoremen's "B" boat then scratched out of the petite final.
Shoremen Boat Lineups
DII/III Varsity Eight: Alex Kincaid (coxswain), Yimer (stroke), Sean Curry (seven), Max Moore (six), Evan Koch (five), Charlie Snyder (four), Potter (three), David Pitts (two), Bonsib (bow)
DII/III Varsity Four "A": Kincaid (coxswain), Yimer (stroke), Koch (three), Bonsib (two), Potter (bow)
DII/III Varsity Four "B": Jack Lee (coxswain), Wesley Lawrence (stroke), Jack Maher (three), Tyler Buchanan (two), Ian Parks (bow)
Frosh/Novice Four: Lee (coxswain), Curry (stroke), Moore (three), Pitts (two), Ross Douglas (bow)
Second Varsity Four: Lawrence (coxswain), Douglas (stroke), Ben Masclans (three), Snyder (two), Melchior (bow)
Varsity Pair "A": Yimer (stroke), Potter (bow)
Varsity Pair "B": Melchior (stroke), Bonsib (bow)
4/20 @ Kerr Cup (Philadelphia, Pa.)