Del Rosario Makes 14 Saves in Victory
ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Visiting Washington College got 14 saves from sophomore goalie Chris Del Rosario (Springfield, Va./Bullis School [Md.]) as the Shoremen used a strong second half to pick up a 7-6 win over host Muhlenberg College in a Centennial Conference game tonight at Scotty Wood Stadium.
Washington College 7, Muhlenberg 6
How It Happened
- James Dalimonte put the Mules on the board with an extra-man goal off an assist from Ethan Grossman 3:40 into the game. Brandon Moyer extended the lead to 2-0 with a goal with 8:35 left in the quarter. Casey Grieves scored the Shoremen's first goal with 5:32 remaining in the quarter, but Dalimonte got that goal back by finding the back of the net with 40 seconds left for a 3-1 Muhlenberg lead after the first quarter.
- Neither team scored in the second quarter despite 10 shots by the Shoremen in the period and eight by the Mules.
- The Shoremen scored three goals of the first 4:12 of the third quarter to take a 4-3 lead. Grieves scored off a Trey Ritter assist 44 seconds into the period, Brady O'Neill followed just 30 seconds later, and Cody Pascale scored the go-ahead goal with 10:48 left in the third.
- Neither team scored again until Grossman evened the score at 4-4 with 2:16 left in the third.
- Grieves put the Shoremen back in front, 5-4, with a goal just 36 seconds into the fourth quarter. Dalimonte answered for Muhlenberg with an extra-man goal off a Bobby McLoughlin assist to deadlock the score at five goals each with 9:32 remaining.
- Kevin Trapp gave Washington a 6-5 lead with 5:20 to play in the game. The Mules won the ensuing face-off and put a shot on goal that was saved by Del Rosario, but then sent four shots high or wide of the cage before running out of possession clock time. The Shoremen then successfully cleared the ball and called timeout with 2:48 remaining.
- After the timeout, Ritter scored with 2:27 to go to give Washington its first two-goal lead of the night at 7-5. Muhlenberg got back to within a goal 16 seconds later when Cooper Richards scooped up the ground ball off the face-off and scored to make the score 7-6 with 2:11 left.
- The Mules won the next face-off, but turned the ball over only to have the Shoremen also turn it over as the Mules called timeout with 1:15 remaining. After the timeout, a pass by Dalimonte went high and out of bounds to give the ball back to the Shoremen.
- The Shoremen got the ball into the offensive end and called timeout with 30.2 seconds to go. Washington turned the ball over in its own end following the timeout and the Mules were able to clear. With time running out, Grossman forced a pass toward the crease that was picked off by Matt Schellenger, who flicked the ball back down field as time expired.
For the Shoremen (4-6, 2-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: Grieves (3 goals); Ritter (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Del Rosario (14 saves, 6 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Shoremen finished the game with 36 shots and 16 turnovers.
For Muhlenberg (8-3, 1-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: Dalimonte (3 goals); McLoughlin (2 assists)
- In Goal: Garrett Pope (9 saves, 7 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Mules recorded 44 shots and 22 turnovers in the game and won 10 of the 17 face-offs.
4/7 v. Colorado College - 12 p.m.